Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pictures POLAR BEARS AND HD DIV.

Can someone help me on bike pictures with initials from the polar bears and Highland Division?? Every type of bike is OK.
Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

Re: Pictures POLAR BEARS AND HD DIV.

We did a book last year on the Polar Bear in the spring of 1945 with some 80+ photographs, but no clear motorcycles with clear div markings.
There is one photograph of two BSA's in Wageningen (usually printed wrongly) but I too much of a digitally misinformed person to be able to stick them on here.

Rob

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

Rob sent me this picture to post Rob.

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Rob M. the more info I have the better it is! Rob v. M were can I order that book?? Bram

Bram you could also ask Hinrik Steinsson. I think he has the biggest collection of Polar bear shoulder titles and pictures in the world. He is about to set up a museum on Iceland. viking27_is@yahoo.com

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

We did the Polar bear book as a present for all participants for last year's May 5 liberation-run from Zeist. (All gone)
Because we liked it, afterwards we did a small run as the VMD-club magazine. (all gone)
And now with some more photographs from Gerard Gijsbertse from Ede, I should have a new run ready this spring with nearly 100 photographs (not the best of quality though!)

3 more from t'other Rob

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

It was whilst the 49th West Riding inv div where in Iceland around 1940 that they changed there logo from the English Rose to the Polar bear. After they left Iceland in 41/42 they changed the Glacier Mint polar Bear to the head up roaring version as the previous design wasn't considered intimidating enough. That is the version you would expect during the liberation of Holland. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Bram Ockhuizen
Thanks Rob M. the more info I have the better it is! Rob v. M were can I order that book?? Bram

Bram, I have those pictures somewhere, will have a look and send you a link to download them.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Thanks Rob for helping out.
In the set of three, the two top ones were taken on Iceland showing the early Polar Bear div sign. The bottom is supposedly in April 1945 in or around Arnhem, towards the west.

Thanks so far hope to get a lot more!! Bram

Gents, I think I'm right in saying Hans has a rather nice Polar Bear on his M20.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks, but I think the black background should be round, with a white border. Or am I wrong Hinrik...?

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

The rectangular black background looks the proper one. However April/May 1945 some units within the division (from the photographs only recce) had this non-regular round sign with the white ring around it.
Maybe somebody can come up with some source material on this?

Dear all, I think I have a copy of an old regulation paper that says the insignia should be rectangular, but I disagree as all the wartime photos I have show the round circle with white border. The 49th West Riding div changed the design of the Polar bear when they left Iceland, from the head down to the head up style.

Photobucket

email (option): hsteinsson28@hotmail.com

Guys,

This photo surfaced recently in a wartime show in a small town in Iceland. You can clearly see here how the Polarbear insignia was applied while the 49th was in Iceland :)

Photobucket

email (option): hsteinsson28@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1