Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Real Frame Number

My Dutch Registration gives number WM20.68023. However after blasting the Frame I found a puzzle. Figures looks like original figures.
What may be the conclusion? Thanks in advance, Lammert.

Frame Number

Re: Real Frame Number

I am not to sure about these numbers. I have the feeling that I see remains of an other number behind the new number. Does the surface still feel nice and round or does it have a flat spot were the number is.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Not uncommon for papers to disagree with actual frame stampings in my limited experience. My M20 has dutch papers which have an 8 in the number where the frame has a 3. A fairly simple mistake when someone down the line hasn't taken much bother about recording the number correctly but it can be a pain later. Here in Germany the officials are pretty inflexible so I think my 3 will be transformed into the number on the papers when the the comes to register it. The featherbed Norton frame I have in one bike had a similar problem but as the bike was still registered in the UK the nice people in Swansea changed the papers for me, free of charge, on the basis of a photo of the frame number.Shame my current Teutonic overlords are not so reasonable!

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Lammert if you zoom in on the picture you posted you can clearly see that there is another set of numbers underneath. If you have papers for the machine? it would probably be simpler to just modify the first 8 into a 6. Otherwise you could re-register it on the number it now has. It is probably impossible to determine it's original number. I suspect it was a UK cherished number plate dealer at his work...or simply someone who had a log book with that frame number.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There are indeed other figures visible. They are a bit angled and not deep. But there is no lost material. No grinding? It looks if it was a test stamping. Most practical action for me is indeed make the 6/8 a clear 6. It is a pity that the original frame number is not clear. Who has number 88023?
Henk, Pete and Ron thanks for your response. Regards, Lammert

The background area running through the numbers appears rougher than the rest of the tube. Having seen many ex-Wehrmact bikes re-numbered, and post war EMW's renumbered with wartime numbers (faked), it is possible that the original numbers may have been peened over rather than filed away. It could however be a 'refreshing' of the original numbers an and the '6' simply misread for an '8'. ?? They do look reasonably convincing.

I don't think the style of the stamps looks correct..they look more modern to my eye...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

I agree with that, to modern. We know a set of original style stamps is our somewhere.

It seems to me that the M is of the correct type and probably still original.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1