Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website pic.

Nice picture...Are these Americans of the 57th. Fighter Group? They arrived at that location in Palestine in 1942. The guy sitting on the bike looks pretty pleased with himself..maybe he has just acquired it. The other chap seems quite interested as well like he hasn't seen it before.
I thought the bike itself looked about 1940 with a few later bits added. Interestingly it still has kickstart and gearchange rubbers in place and a brand new front tyre..just out of the workshops perhaps?
Saying that the fork spring must be a bit tired judging by the angle of the upper fork link.
Not a lot of shadow cast so close to midday I would think...and pretty warm!...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Re: Website pic.

I like the black out light no cowling ,was that norm?

email (option): john@fieldandrurallife.com

I think this pic is way out,why is there a VW Beetle in the background?In 1942 these vehicles were still in Germany,and certainly not in the Far East,so there is something fishy here,its not right,I think this pic was posed in the late 50's and looking at the rear window of the car,it dates from around that time,the car also has 4 doors so certainly not from 42,as mentioned,ho-hum.

email (option): glesgaman@tiscali.co.uk

I think the car in the background is a Dodge...Ian

Hi tommy

That's no a v dub in the background

Probably a big American staff car like a Plymouth or a dodge or the like

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Their helmets look a bit South African?

And I see a dent in the headlamp rim which might explain the missing hood on the blackout mask.

That is a great picture

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

The photo comes from this website : http://www.57thfightergroup.org/pictures/bob_hanning/a1.html

You find this picture there and lots more taken at the same place and time.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Our man in Honiton says the car is more likely a Ford.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I stand corrected,my mistake,but surely the Americans must have copied the VW to get that shape !Hum Ho.

email (option): glesgaman@tiscali.co.uk

I think those shapes were the result of the 'streamlining' period that took place in the Thirties. Some American car designs took this to extremes but it also appeared in European designs...and not just cars...Railway locomotives and even household goods such as kettles, radios and furniture were made with these 'stremlined' features!....Ian

It is a '40 Ford 4door.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Probably got a big v8 in it too, they sound great don't they !

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

It had a 239 cu. in. (3.9L) side valve V8, about 94 big horsepower. The car in the picture is probably a Deluxe, the side chrome is painted over, the rear windows and the chevron tail lights identify it. I had a '36, '40 and '47 after the war and thought they were the best. So did Bonny & Clyde.

Hi Joe..Was that the 'pilot' engine?...Ian

Hi Ian, I need to correct my aged memory, the 221 cubic inch, 85 hp engine was used up to and during the war, the Mercury and postwar Fords were 239 c.i. and. 95 hp.

The 136 c.i. 60 hp or "V8 60" was a very underpowered engine in a Ford sedan, but highly modified and running on alcohol in a midget race car they were impressive.

I found some more bike photos in the collection, unfortunately they were German or Italian. For those interested in aircraft there are loads of pictures of Allied, German & Italian aircraft + combat damage etc.

First the German Bike....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now the Italian, looks very much like a Ducati single from the 50's...

Photobucket

Photobucket

If Tommy looks there is a picture of a Kubelwagen in the series as well.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1