Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Piston rings

Happy New Year To All
Today I started the engine rebild after having a NOS standerd piston & liner fitted to the barrel in 09. It takes time
But I found the piston to have 4 ring groves and only 3 rings supplied .I was told by the supplier that that is correct.The top ring grove is 0.062 or 1.57mm I think this is a bit thin for a top compression ring.But I would like to fit one if possible? Has it been fitted before? I would would like to hear your thoughts. This bike is going to be ridden,not stored (1st big trip 3000km)

email (option): michael@nammech.aom.au

Re: Piston rings

Hi Michael..You supplier has advised you correctly...the top groove is not fitted with a ring as standard. There is no reason why you couldn't fit a ring if you chose to and could find one of the correct dimensions. However, I don't think you would derive any particular advantage from doing so.
You can do as many miles as you choose to on the original set up without problems in this area...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian
Back down to the shed tomorrow,

Michael

email (option): michael@nammech.aom.au

I fitted a ring to that groove years ago and there was absolutely noticeable difference between or rings.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Is that 'no' noticeable difference Henk? ...Ian

Tiny little word with a big difference. Yes indeed, absolutely NO difference.

Henk

You silly sod Henk. That's because you fitted doughnuts. They wont work any better than Kretonbolon.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Krentenbollen Ron KRENTENBOLLEN

Crunchy Bollocks...Ian

I prefer the Krentenbol.......

Henrie

I rather like the Dutch liquorice that I'm eating as I sit at the computer!.. ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1