Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Well... that's not something you see everyday!

Went for "shopping" today and I couldn't believe in my eyes...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy New Year!

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Re: Well... that's not something you see everyday!

Hi Kostas

Thats incredible, is that a Norton big4 sidecar chassis under the yellow tank?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I need a holiday in Greece...in a lorry...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Rob,
I really don't know, but I can always ask!

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Kostas

To be honest I don't need another chassis but I could use a front brake drum and wheel hub for a Norton Big4 next time you are there

Blimey Kostas. You should buy up those dolls head gear box's, sell them to Brough owners and retire young ....any parcel yet? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I thought it was the overflow from Henk's shed......

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

It's a lovely example of 'one mans junk is another mans treasure'...I should think the forum contributors would reduce his stock by 75% overnight given the chance..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

I think I saw a Harley Hub there, are there any? I need 2 good rims for a WLA if anyones got them

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I take any Harley WLA headlights!!!!

email (option): rcassin@aol.com

In the early 80's I ran across a similar situation, only they were Bren Gun carrier parts. The Hydro electric company where I lived had bought carriers after the war to work on power lines in remote areas, they would strip the military stuf off of them, cut the armor off low on the hull and make sheet metal cabs for them. There were complete carrier upper armor sections and everything that had to do with them. Lights, boxes, road wheels, engine decks, fenders and on and on. I still kick myself for not buying the lot and storing it, at the time it wasn't worth much and wasn't that interesting. Today I'd have the market cornered. I guess what I'm getting at is that if the stuff is for sale at a reasonable price and you have the means to store stuff, you might want to go through that and get what can be salvaged, those Norton gearboxes and what appears to be a Big 4 sidecar to mention a few. As with me, 30 years from now you'll be telling your kid's, I should have bought that!

Ron, no parcel yet

Dave, I'll ask him for the WLA rims next time I go there.

Robert, I'll do the same for the WLA headlights.

Samuel,
This man was collecting among junk all the motorcycles and spare parts that the Greek Army sold back in the 1950s. Yesterday I saw dozens of BSAs, Nortons, BMWs, Zundapps and some Harleys. He used to sell the metal parts but today he is aware of what he has and knows how much they cost. I didn't ask for prices but heard others who did. I will visit him again and will try to figure that out. Do you think that these Norton gearboxes are salvageable? To tell you the truth I was tempted to buy a spare set (engine and gearbox)!

Kostas as long as the gearbox outer case is good, they are worth buying. I have seen these sell for £300-£500....because of the Brough market I suspect.
Parcel posted on Dec 20th. Surley they can't blame the snow in Greece. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

ok that what is outside what has he got in his sheds mint and boxed nos bikes well we can dream

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

I think met that guy when I was in Athens with Linda in our 2cv in 1988 and talked with him for hours. He made a list of all he had and wrote it down patiently, I still have that list. He was riding around on a WM20 with plunger rear suspension and teles front forks with a wooden sidecar box. Linda was taken for a spin in the street he had a shop and I had to take picture which had to be send to him later. He was actually quite a friendly guy but extremely expensive with the parts he had for sale. We went there the next year to give him some of the pictures and when we visited him some years later and all was gone. I can still remember that he wanted 600 guilders for a magneto which seems to have just been dug up.

Henk

Athens 01

Athens 02

Athens 03

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Well, I guess the price isn't right. Not at all the same situation I was in where I could have had the lot for what it would have cost me to load it up and carry it away. What a pitty that stuff wasn't put under a roof.

Richard, I think that your correspondent must be mistaken or he has a vested interest.

Kostas would have no reason to falsify the date of the pictures and if he says that they were taken this week then I wouldn't doubt him in the slightest.

He is actively looking for one or two correct parts for his very original 1940 16H

Quite a few of the members on my site stated that they were old photos.
I hope that Kostas can clarify..
Would be nice if it were a new site..
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/KRADRIDER/

Richard Purkiss
Quite a few of the members on my site stated that they were old photos.
I hope that Kostas can clarify..
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/KRADRIDER/

I'll follow this with interest. The Yahoo group is members only and I'm afraid that signing up to it would feel like enlisting with the British Freikorps.

Happy new year to all of you forum members!
I really don't want to participate in any kind of dispute.
Quite a few forum members "know" me and I'm happy to realize that they do believe what I'm saying.
Those pictures were taken on Wednesday, December 29 2010.
In research of some parts that I need for my Norton 16H I heard of this guy and finally paid him a visit.
I thought it was not an everyday sight, these piles of parts, and for that reason only I uploaded those pictures. To any of you who might thought that I'm trying to make something out of it, I ensure you that you are mistaken.
For the past 2,5 years that I started restoring my family 16H, I have only bought parts from various people, and never sold.
I'm just an enthusiast restorer, not a parts trader.
Kostas

Thanks Kostas, never doubted you for a minute.

Happy new year Rob.

I did not want to cast any doubt, just passing on comments from other people. There is another junk yard in Athens which looks very similar and was apparently cleared out a few years ago.. if this is a yard that is a new discobvey, there will a lot of interested people out there.
I think they are confusing these pictures with the yard that can be seen in on this site under the gallery section..check it out..
http://www.bmw-zuendapp-oldtimer.de/

Kostas. can you reveal the location of the yard you visited??
Rich

richard if all these bmw bikes were put on the market it would knock prices to rock bottom

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

Richard,
Sorry I can't. I would have, but I now believe that some fellow Greeks might take advantage of it. Let them think that these photos are old.
Have seen the link you posted and can asure you that this is NOT the same junk yard!
Kostas

personal opinion; better let people take advantage then leaving the parts to rot
c

Nieuwe pagina 1