Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Repoduction Petrol Tanks. Thoughts?

HI everyone,

It looks like I will have to go down the road of fitting a repoduction tank to my M20, the tank thats on it I think is a B31 tank and not in that great condition anyway. Has anyone had any experience with any of the repo ones, and if so could anyone recommend a supplier? I just can't turn up an origional, and if I do in the future I can always fit it instead.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: Repoduction Petrol Tanks. Thoughts?

Hi Glenn, I got one last year from "Dean the bean" which was o.k. for me.I can't remember the price now but i do remember at the time he was cheaper than any of the other tanks available,it was supplied unpainted.Some one else on the forum will probably have some ideas but if you need the e-mail address for Dean Hoare i should be able to dig it out for you. Cheers,Mick.

email (option): sally_jones@btinternet.com

I bought one from Peter's Classic Bike Parts in NL for €220. Looks very good construction. I have not fitted it to the bike yet but by a visual comparison with an original M20 tank it looks spot on for fittment.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

I haven't fitted an M20 one...but I have fitted a Triumph T120 version. It was well made and fitted correctly. I guess some Indians do it right!...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Just a reminder that a "B" series rigid or plunger wont fit "M"series rigid and plunger. The front mount is mounted differently.

You can weld a small triangular plate onto the top of the front mounting lugs with holes drilled for the bolts, this will lower the front of the tank by 1/2 inch. This I have done to fit a B31 tank onto my M33.
I have had two Indian petrol tanks one for my B33 and one for my Shooting Star the build quality was good on the B33 but the one on the Shooting Star it was ok where it touched but the chrome was not so good.

Thanks everyone for the response, its very much appreciated. If anyone could give me contact numbers or email addresses of the suppliers they've had success with I think I'll take a go at one. Overall the feedback seems gererally positive, and if I come across a genuine tank in the future I can always change it if it bothers me.

Hi Glen

I bought an Indian replica 16H tank to convert for my Big4 because it seemed a shame to alter the Vokes cut off 16H tank that came with the bike, and after I'd done the conversion work I found a genuine tank at a jumble.

I think thats the best option, you can always go back to a bike and improve it later.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Glenn, The e-mail for Dean Hoare is
gremlinbiker@yahoo.co.uk
The tank i got from him was £110 with the volkes cut out but that was about 12 months ago,he had more in stock at that time.Good luck,Mick.

email (option): sally_jones@btinternet.com

I was just in my lock-up and found a very nice original WDM20 petrol tank with Vokes cut away. I don't need it so if anybody is interested it's for sale.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I'm very interested! I'll drop you an email here

surely you could weld a false tank end on to get rid of the volkes cut out and need not even closed underneath

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

A guy here in Holland has a tank were that has been done, you would never know until he shows that there isn't a bottom in that corner of the tank.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I also converted a tank from a 'cut off' to a 'non cut' off so that I could fit it on my 1947 M21 (that being the correct tank for that year). I put the bottom piece in, but the extra section was not linked to the original tank internally...looking at the tank you couldn't really spot it...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1