And who took these photos?

Frankrijk 1940

Frankrijk 1940

Frankrijk 1940

Frankrijk 1940

Frankrijk 1940

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Some more photos from France 1940

There's nothing quite like the photos of the path of a routed army...you can almost sense the panic to get away, and the effects of a complete breakdown of order are stark....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Taken by a propaganda photographic unit of the German Army, hence the Bundsarchive tags at the bottom. The German Army had embedded (as they call it now) journalists and propaganda film units on all fronts, at least while they were winning.....

The camera carrying pigeon was first mooted during WW1 and the Germans released photos to alarm the Brits, though I think it was Mythbusters that proved that pigeons could not carry even the lightest cameras of the day.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Guys
I find the third Photo most prophetic with a large group of German Solders Standing around gazing out over the Channel obviously wondering how the Heck this routed army (Ian’s words not mine) got away and although they did not know at the time a Classic case of Winning the Battle but losing the war

email (option): grumpy.moran@gmail.com

Hi,
Just to add my two pennies worth on this one. I don't think you can claim the Germans even won the battle. They failed to route the BEF and allowed them to escape to reinforce the U.K to make invasion nigh on impossible.
Also, on the whole the BEF fell back in good order - although I am sure there are many personal memories of panic this would have been on a local level. It is the mark of a good Army to perform a fighting withdrawl, by far the hardest of all millitary operations. Certainly a large amount of material was left after Operation Dynamo but this could be made good. The loss of the larger part of the BEF would have been disasterous.
Seasons greetings to all and looking forward to a fine and dry 2011.
The snow here in North Devon has fianlly melted so I'm going out on the bike!
Cheers!
Clive

Why the Germans allowed the BEF to escape will remain a matter of conjecture...there are a number of theories.
The allied armies, however, manifestly failed at both a tactical and strategic level and utterly failed to contain the Germans in a meaningful way apart from a few localised operations which could not alter the final outcome.
The term 'Rout' is defined as an 'overwhelming and disorderly defeat' and I would argue the term applies to the Allied armies...The eventual extraction of many of the men only occurred because of the Germans hesitancy at the vital moment..not as the result of any structured evacuation on our part. It was, after all, a completely 'ad hoc' plan.
Add to this the fact we lost virtually all the equipment for the complete army, which temporarily at least,rendered it utterly incapable of defending Britain had we not had the natural defences of the English Channel to stop the Germans.
The 'Battle for France' was lost before we even got there due to outmoded tactics and thinking, a lack of integration between the different arms of service and in France, an ally that had an even more outdated view of the 'modern' battlefield than we did.
Germany managed to pull off a victory in France at a speed and in a fashion that was not considered possible and it has rightly gone down in history as an example of 'how to do it'..playing on both their own strengths and our weaknesses. Granted,they made a strategic, or perhaps political, mistake in letting our troops escaped but at a tactical level they certainly won the battle....and we certainly lost it...Ian

Thank you for posting these! I have never seen anything like this before. Real history like this should be taught in the schools, rather than just names and dates.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

It certainly was a rout at Dunkirk. But there was also some order in the chaos, not least with respect to the troops that stayed behind to slow the German advance.

The Germans, incidentally, knew exactly what was going on at Dunkirk regarding the small (and not so small) armada. They spent enough time strafing and bombing, and the exodus took place over a week or so and cost the Royal Navy half a dozen destroyers and saw the lost of plenty of smaller craft.

Regarding the BEF losing all their gear and being unable to defend Britain in the event of an invasion, Hitler's Operation Sea Lion was always a non-starter (but a very scary one). At whatever cost, the Royal Navy simply would not allow a full scale landing in Britain, and even if the Germans did get a foothold on the South Coast, they were simply not geared up to maintaining it.

The invasion threat was, it appears, more of a bluff designed to prompt an early surrender by Britain. And then there was still the RAF to deal with, which was smaller (than in 1940), but still a serious threat to any invader.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

You are right of course Danny..there was no real prospect of a German invasion...though I am not so sure we were aware of that at the time. Apart from anything else the German Army was primarily designed and trained to fight land battles and 'thought' that way. I would think they had little knowledge, equipment or training suitable for seaborne operations and landings. They certainly didn't have the in depth Naval power required and in due course fell at the first hurdle in not achieving air superiority...an absolute requirement.
It should be remembered that Hitler openly admired the British Empire and didn't necessarily want to utterly defeat us. He thought that 'coming to terms' with Britain was the best solution, having first got himself into a good bargaining position.
Having defeated us militarily in France fostering the idea in our minds that invasion was both possible and imminent would merely reinforce our belief that our best course of action was to accept the terms offered. Lord Halifax and many others accepted that concept and I believe we came much nearer to surrender than is generally supposed.
It must have been difficult at that point to see where and with what we were going to fight back...Ian

Hi Ian, I'd go along with all of that.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

In Amsterdam and Rotterdam there were some requisitioned Rhine barges converted to front loading landing boats; their captains were standing on the wharfs laughing their heads off: imaging such a loooong barge crossing the North Sea, trying to brave 3 - 4 m waves.
Mid 1940 that "Operation Seelöwe" was quietly cancelled.

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1