Author
Comment
Commando cycles

Commando cycles

Commando cycles

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Commando cycles

Hi Henk
great picture, the bikes shown at the front of the picture are all early twin tube type frames, and more interesting is the detail showing fitment of what appears to be non BSA saddles, I have a late production run bike (completely original) with this same type of saddle.
Where did the photo come from ?
Best Regards
Gary

Hi Gary,

I was browsing the internet when I found this picture. Do you know what is on the plate on the saddle?

As far as I know they at least used their own BSA model 40 (?) saddle and Brooks.

Isn't it funny that they wrapped the frames and handlebars with paper to protect the paint, these bicycle had a 30 minutes use expectancy once on the battlefield.

Henk.

Hi Henk,
I'll photo mine tomorrow and post it here for you.
Ref the wrapping, that's typically the old way of selling your goods.
Regards
Gary

Class picture Henk...
This is mine...pedals are not right but think the rest of it is....

JimmyPhotobucket

I have zoomed in on that picture, and although it's fuzzy. The plate on the rear of the saddles is clearly only three letters. Probaly B.S.A.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

I had that same feeling, but it's just not clear enough. Do you know if they used other saddles like Brooks too?

Henk

I have seen Brooks and other makes fitted, but always thought they were just a replacement for the lost BSA saddle. I often wondered if these saddles were actually made by Brooks with the BSA logo....or did BSA make their own?
Michel Clements had a batch of repro BSA leather saddle covers years ago. Made in a Dutch prison I believe. I bought one for my Parabike and with a bit of dark brown boot polish, it really looks good. I haven't seen them since though. Presumably they let these skilled prisoners go!!

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Henk and Ron, it does appear to be only 3 letters, I presume that because of the bikes being the first/early type issue of folding bike that the seats would have been BSA, whats unusual is the seat has a alloy seat tag, as of the few original ones I've seen, they have not or ever had a tag on the back of the saddle (just BSA and the model number stamped into the leather on either side).
I've attached a picture on my late production bike, showing it's Hecules saddle, the bike is good original condition and came from a local family, who's father had had it from late wartime but had hardly ever ridden it.
The group photo shows a restored early twin tube, a unrestored one and to the right the good original bike, which shows off the true paint colour.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Regards
Gary

You need a bigger bicycle shed gary

Thanks for the photos.

Henk

Nieuwe pagina 1