Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Web Pic

Nice picture...I see (sensibly) he has his left boot stuck out so it touches down before the footrest. Cornering style is 'of the period' before it became fashionable to hang your arse off the seat and stick you knee out. I remember magazines extolling the virtues of the 'tucked in' style...I suspect the location is further north than Northants. To me the house with its heavy roof slates and Mullion windows and the look of the dry stone wall are reminiscent of Yorkshire or Lancashire. Interestingly there are 'cat's eyes' in the centre of the road..these were invented and produced in Yorkshire and it was the first place they were used, though their use became universal during the War years after the introduction of the Blackout..Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Re: Web Pic

He's on the wrong side of the street. Ooops, I forgot . . .

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Is he?

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Only if you got invaded by Napolean.. ...Ian

Ian.
Looks to me like Ironstone building with Colyweston roof slates to me, the stone wall with the half rounded top is typical of the area around Rushton & Rothwell.
Are we going to get a definite answer on this one? I think maybe LJ must know, he's been everywhere.

It is one of a series of photos I have of DR's undergoing training.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

You could be right John...I've lived in Northamptonshire, Yorkshire and Lancashire so I don't mind which it is!!. I was surprised to learn these stone slates were used widely in Northants until I realised they were quarried there..in Yorkshire the heavier slate was used to resist the weight of snow in the winter...this year we could have done with them everywhere!! ...Ian

I thought the stone used on the house and walls looked like what we have around Oxfordshire, and the roof slate looks like it could have come from Stonesfield quarry. So I was going to claim it for Oxfordshire.

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

isle of man TT

email (option): roger.back@node6.com

The picture was taken at West Bretton near junction 38 of the M1 motorway it was the porch i recognised have passed it many times
It is not very far from where the training film was made which is posted further back on this site
If you get the little man on google maps put him on the A637 and send him towards Huddersfield you will come the house although it has been built round now and extended itself the porch is still there so its in gods own county hope i have been of help

email (option): charles.white2@bt

Hi Charlie...Well done!!!...it's amazing how this forum turns up the answers..particularly as this was 'one house somewhere in England about 65 years ago!' ..Now...what was the riders name, rank and number? ...Ian

Then and Now

Then and now

Then and now

Then and now

Re: Then and Now

Nicely done Henk...the house hasn't changed too much...but what happened to that nice bend?.. ...Ian

Health & Safety......

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

There should be some kind of a campaign ..the dear old winding English road is rapidly disappearing on major and secondary routes and it surely makes for dull riding..
Fortunately Devon, where I live, has lots of them...Ian

I expect that at this very moment, there us a drawing on the county highways engineer's desk showing the £750,000 traffic calming scheme now planned to bring down the speeds which have increased since the road was 'improved' in the late 1980s.

That wouldn't surprise me at all Rik..I'll have to ring them up and tell them what they need is lots of sharp bends...but with speed humps.An average speed of say..25mph..should make things nice and safe. As long as the continuous speed humps don't trigger the airbags ...Ian

These millions of pounds worth of chicanes that force you into the path of on coming vehicles don't calm me Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Speed cameras also help, and we make these

And you destroy a lot of them too. Look what happened to that great biker road, the 'cat & fiddle' pass. Stopped by police to be given safety lectures even if your riding is impeccably safe.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Great thread, when I started off reading this, I thought, wouldn't it be great to know where that was....scroll down!

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1