Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saddle springs needed

Hi,

Being busy with my saddle I found out that I need a handful replacement springs for my saddle. I need them to be about 20 to 20,5 cm long, anybody any idea where to get these?

Henk

sadde springs

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Saddle springs needed

I believe Chris Barker was looking at having these made...Now might be time for a batch as nobody seems to be able to source the correct ones. Martyn Bratby was doing them but his stock of them seems to be erratic (too busy reconditioning carbs!)....Chris?.....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

Yes a batch would be a good idea, the only problem is that non of my saddles has the same length springs. I wanted to replace some of the spring by using them from a spare saddle but non of them fitted this saddle.

Henk.

The late war 'standard' saddle is the most common I would have thought...the type in your picture probably the next most common.
Each type has nose springs (length and number?) and the long springs.(length and number of each?) The long springs seem to be of at least two different lengths for each saddle type, the shorter ones being towards the outer edge?
So what is needed is either a)Samples of all these springs..or B)Accurately measured dimensions with a sketch.
If there is sufficient interest, and there should be, I would look at getting some manufactured...but I don't have the specifications (I think I do have a few old 'originals' for wire gauge and hook dimensions)...Ian

This is from my 1944 Air Force parts list!

Saddle springs

If necessary, I can scan again at higher resolution

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

henk, i had 2 sets made for my saddles, one early one late...
very good springs. worked out at about £45 for a full set.
i also sourced rexine ( modern equivalent ) from the company who were making it in the war...and had a saddle cover made to an exact match...that worked out at £75 though...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Hi Chris...where can the 'modern' Rexine be sourced from?....Ian

Chris, was that £75 for the cover made-up ? If so, compared with what the odd period saddle is fetching, that's really not bad.

It's something that concerns me because although I have a nice patinated original, they do wear out with use.

On Hans AM List, there are cord elastic listed. Anyone have an idea what those look like for the Lycett saddles? Have a few of those installed and I thought they were locally made until now.

Henk, I have some of those springs NOS, but not sure if those are for your saddle. LV/7 something numbers. I thought they were for the Nortons.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

the rexine came from a company in birmingham, they called it rx17, with a sand finish i believe..the company were called ratchfords.
the cover i think is excellent, i'll bring it up to ians in due course for inspection!
henk, do you want me to ask for the price of a few springs they should have the measurements from my saddle as i sent them some old ones as patterns?

Henri
On Hans AM List, there are cord elastic listed. Anyone have an idea what those look like for the Lycett saddles? Have a few of those installed and I thought they were locally made until now.

Henk, I have some of those springs NOS, but not sure if those are for your saddle. LV/7 something numbers. I thought they were for the Nortons.

All the proprietary parts have LV7 numbers. Only if followed by 'NC' would it be specifically Norton.

Lycetts are elasticated rather than sprung - a sort of bungey cord arrangement. Elastics can be replaced but the special flat hooks are unobtainable and they have to be very strong.

Thanks Rik,

Screwed up on the LV7, it is actually LV6/MTI/TE/1/8 Springs, Top

They come in two sizes, 7 1/4 and 6 5/8 long

Here is a sample of what I keep/hoard:

alt="Photobucket">

And by the way, a rider's song, no bike just good horses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLzhTezsgK4

Here is the bungy type of elastic Rik, is that it?

Photobucket

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Mmmm - Nice springs Henri, I'd hoard them too, just in case !

Chris,

Can you post a picture of the saddle cover?
I would like a fine replacement of rexine for my saddle cover...

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

The longest springs of this set are still to short for my saddle.

Henk

Nieuwe pagina 1