Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stripping a clutch

I am attempting to strip down the clutch on my M33, it is fitted with the single spring WD type, I have removed the large centre nut and spring and all of the plates and I know that the sleeve needs an extractor. Now what is the 5/16 nut for in the middle of the sleeve the one with the cycle thread in, does this need to be undone its very tight, also why doesn't the clutch drum not pull off its rollers like a Triumph one. I hope someone can help as this type of cluth is new to me. Thanks

email (option): ian.clare1@virgin.net

Re: stripping a clutch

Hi Ian...the nut you refer to is the gearbox mainshaft nut...this holds the clutch sleeve to the gearbox shaft. You will need to remove this to allow the sleeve to be pulled off the shaft. Have you removed the clutch center yet? That is the part that the clutch plates with 'internal' driving tangs engage.....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Hey Ian, the centre is on a taper and can be bloody tight on the shaft. There is a puller available, as long as the internal threads on the centre isn't buggered.
Once the centre of my M33 clutch was on so tight I had to use a 3 legged puller. When it finally let go it flew across the workshop and dug into the wall. Don't stand in front of it!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Hi thanks for the advice given, I have removed the mainshaft nut, that was tight, the centre and the plates are removed leaving the sprocket or clutch basket which I assume will come off once and if I can remove the centre adapter, I will obtain an extractor and try it but the threads don't look to promising if I have to use a puller where do you attach the legs

Hi Ian..if you have removed the center you should be able to remove the sprocket (all the rollers might drop out when you do this). You will then just be left with the sleeve. If you can screw the extractor in OK, screw it all the way home and then screw in the middle bolt until it touches the end of the mainshaft and begins to exert some pressure. Then give the bolt head a sharp couple of taps with a hammer to 'shock' the taper. Repeat the procedure after tightening the bolt some more.,,,the taper will release at some point using this method.
Do not try to just pull the sleeve straight off the shaft...that will probably lead to failure of the extractor thread. Also keep an eye open for the mainshaft key which fits into a keyway in the mainshaft...it may come adrift and get lost when the sleeve releases.
If you need to use a three leg puller due to a damaged extractor thread you will find the space behind the back of the sleeve hard to access. I find an easier method is to refit the clutch spring nut to the sleeve and pull on the back of that. Alternatively you could do what I did,I turned up a larger diameter 'ring' that fits against the back of the nut to make this process easier, it gives a better location for the pullers legs.....Ian

The thing that has me confused is why I can't pull the clutch basket off of the rollers, the end of the sleeve seems to end in a shoulder that appears to go half way up the rollers so stopping the basket from coming forward.

The rollers are put into the clutch basket from the rear with grease (or on the outside race of the sleeve). The basket is then slid on from the front. Maybe there is a wear ridge on your basket which is hanging on to the rollers? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ian..If you have removed all the parts of the clutch apart from the sleeve, rollers and sprocket the sprocket should come off. The rollers are fitted around the sleeve and the sprocket is then fitted over them during assembly.
The rollers sit against (and between) a shoulder on the sleeve and a shoulder at the front of the sprocket roller track. It is this shoulder that partially obscures the rollers when you look into the sprocket center. It is unusual for the rollers to be 'snug' in the roller track but it can only be a tight fit there that is holding the sprocket in place...unless a modification has been done...and that is pretty unlikely....Ian

Thanks for your replies, I can see that the clutch basket should come off in a forward direction, but it won't. This is the first time in two years of owning the bike that I have done any major work on it, the clutch has always been very heavy that is why I have decided to look at it,there is certain aspects of it that I'm not very happy with, the sliding plate is missing and there are odd washers in the clutch as spacers and the engine sprocket is the wrong size. I will have another attempt to remove the clutch basket.

success I've removed the clutch basket, not having the correct extractor I've found that the one for the six spring clutch has the same thread as the outside of the sleeve so I used that and got the sleeve off. Thankyou for all your help, have a great Christmas and good riding in the New Year.

And on the subject of clutches. Today as a continuation of my major overhaul, I decided to button up the primary side. So greased the chain case gasket and put the case on with my newly acquired stainless screws. Foot peg and brake pedal on. Adjust brake and top up chain case with oil. Clear away tools and wipe finger prints off chain case. So I thought before I go indoors for a well earned mince pie and coffee, I'd stand back and admire my handy work.....That's when I noticed the freshly painted clutch bowler hat cover still under the bench...BUGGER!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron are you sure thats all you said

Nieuwe pagina 1