Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
website photo.

hi henk, could i have a copy of that one please?

chris b

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Re: website photo.

On it's way.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

And me too please, Henk.

Great photo, and is that a Norton Big4 in the centre of the group,
Mick W.

email (option): mickwalsh57@gmail.com

Hi MicK

Can you identify the unit & barracks in dublin

We'd like to know as the young lad 2nd from left is Gus Slattery, father of friends of ours, Richard & Paul, both m20 owners

Looks like a big 4 for sure - heard they bought 2 of them for evaluation

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi John,

When I was researching Chris B`s bike I came across a batch of 10 Nortons from 1940.

I have "combination ?" written down but I can`t remember the details and the only other info I wrote down was the engine numbers.

Maybe some of the Norton experts might know which model the engines were fitted to.
And the Reg no`s ZD 3092 -> ZD 3101, but they would only be of local interest.

I guess I`ll have to go back for another look

As to which barracks, don`t know. Kind of has the look of Collins. But Griffith also had similar buildings. Oh I can feel an "After the Battle" moment coming on. More research needed.

Mick

This is an odd one Mick. Most of the Norton ledgers are missing and there are no clues in the Ordnance records. These bikes, whether 16Hs or Big 4s would have been contracted to the War Department so were presumably supplied via them.

If 16Hs, then they had a 'W' prefix and would have been part of contract C5109. This seems pretty well accounted for and with no mention of sidecars. There were some later RAF sidecar contracts. Furtermore, two of the numbers (W3344 and W3743) appear in the post-war British records so I don't think these bikes were 16Hs.

If Big 4s, then they had an 'S' prefix and would seem to have been part of British contract allocations although the numbers don't quite fit. However, they should then have been 1941 bikes.

If you ever go back to the archive, I'd be interested to know if there's more.

I wonder if a British Unit on exercise wandered over the border and had their equipment confiscated ?

Mick Walsh
Hi John,

When I was researching Chris B`s bike I came across a batch of 10 Nortons from 1940.

I have "combination ?" written down but I can`t remember the details and the only other info I wrote down was the engine numbers.

Maybe some of the Norton experts might know which model the engines were fitted to.

As to which barracks, don`t know. Kind of has the look of Collins. But Griffith also had similar buildings. Oh I can feel an "After the Battle" moment coming on. More research needed.

Mick

Hi Mick.....is here lettering on the side of the petrol tanks of the bikes????
Any idea what it might be.....

Also is that a squadron flash on the bonnets of the cars???

Class picture...

Jimmy

Rik

I wonder if a British Unit on exercise wandered over the border and had their equipment confiscated ?

As if the British would cross somebody elses border without permission.......

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Sir Ewok
Rik

As if the British would cross somebody elses border without permission.......

Ahum...Let me quote from "A History of the 58th 1939 - 1945" (My Grandfather's regiment). They were briefly stationed at Enniskillen from April 1941 - January 1942...

"Enniskillen is situated on an island in Lough Erne and is quite close to the border. This fact was rapidly discovered by R.Q.M.S. Allen who was arrested by Eire Civil Guards, having managed to misread his map and cross the border into the Free State."

As Quarter Master Sergeant, my guess is that he was probably foraging. I'll bet he didn't get his 15cwt back !

I don`t know about 15cwt trucks but we did "borrow" some Hurricanes

Mick Walsh
Hi John,

Mick

One of the framenumbers of a Big 4 that came out of Ireland recently is S2239

Hope this helps,

Lex Schmidt

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

thanks henk, can i have the new one as well please?

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1