Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Silencer baffles

Stupid question of the day. Will running an engine with the silencer baffles knocked out have an adverse effect on the running of the engine? Lack of back pressure? Thanks!

Re: Silencer baffles

Sam
Baffles ???what,Baffles ?mine is straight thrue,big empty space,but thing is,modern regs for exhaust emmissions dont apply,yahoo As for the effect on the engine ???? none at all

email (option): glesgaman@tiscali.co.uk

You will find the mixture will run weaker with the baffles removed..so a carb adjustment and bigger main jet may be necessary. It really depends on how the carb was set up originally. You might get a slight improvement in performance but nothing to get excited about...and most of the engine rattles will be 'cured'.. ...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

When I bought my bike the silencer looked like it was a standard item but was very loud. This gave the lie to the idea of riders riding quietly up to enemy lines during reconnaissance missions. The bracket broke while I was riding close to home & the silencer fell off, damaging & holing it in places. I took it to work to weld it up and as the pipe heated up a familiar smell wafted up....... Body filler! Now, having the chance to examine the silencer closely, I found it to be a straight through piece of pipe with the original body tacked over it and then shaped with body filler to look like the original. I replaced it with a unit from Draganfly and it has just a small deflector with holes drilled in it, which is much quieter and probably induces the required back pressure.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Original silencers differed substantially from any of the pattern ones I have seen in terms of the internal baffling and a NOS original I had was a lot quieter, both in the volume and quality of the noise produced. It had a much 'mellower' sound with less 'edge'.
Looking up the end from the engine end it also had the two deflector plates but no light at all was visible at the other end.
I have never cut an original open to determine the layout (though I would like to if I could find a scrap one) but I suspect it either had a spiral baffle or a series of deflectors and was possibly 'packed' as well.
I believe there was a specification laid down by the Army that the bike should be inaudible at a given distance...Ian

Thanks guys, I have a larger jet for the carb, if it's a problem I will switch out. I have two silencers, the one thats on there now is extremely quiet, I was told I was riding a lamb, the other one you can look right through like a pipe, I'll try it out, make it sound like it has a pair!

I may have a very battered silencer which well could be original. I will contemplate cutting the bottom or whatever side out to reveal its inners. Photographs will follow, but do not pin it down to the next few weeks.

Rob

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

I have a few photos of what appears to be an original one.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

That looks like an original one Henk...I spoke to a company that makes silencers about this and they told me that you can't have a really quiet silencer without some loss of power...not something you have a lot of with the M20. They weren't able to quantify that though!
I was interested in making some stainless silencers with the original baffle pattern.
However, as you can imagine these would have been fairly expensive and I found that many of the people I discussed the possibility with weren't too bothered about it, so I didn't go any further....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1