Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
clearance

hello,
I currently restore a WM20 of 1940 (that made already 5 years that I work on this bike... it what one calls a passion, isn't it ?) and this week I’m re-assembling the engine. The side clearance (side float) of the crankshaft in the crankcase is approximately 0,4 mm (with one new crankshaft main bearing spacer). Is it acceptable ?
Another question which must appear stupid to you, I do not know where must finish the copper pipe from the engine breather ?

thanks for your help
Marc, France.

Re: clearance

Hi Marc...The clearance in the crankcases is fine. When the engine shock absorber is tightened up it pulls the crankshaft over to the drive side and then there will be no side clearance. As long as you have a new spacer the crankshaft will then be in the correct position....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Re: clearance - note to Ian Wright

Ian, you forgot to answer the other half of the question. The crankcase breather pipe terminates about 5-6 inches from the breather valve/union (or whatever it's called) and angles down behind the crankcase. You'll explain it better than me.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

It's a hard one to explain verbally Danny and being a numpty I still haven't worked out how to post pictures..I was thinking someone would probably do that!!....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian and Danny for your help, excuse me the delay in my answer .
You have right, I had not taken account of the shock absorber.
Does the copper pipe finish on the secondary chain? if someone could send me a picture

Marc

Nieuwe pagina 1