Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How easy it is to meake a Field Stand

Hello,

I am planning to make a few field stands. By the look of it the design looks simple and easy. I have access to a lathe and I presume that all the components can be made in a lathe.
Please do let me know as to how easy/difficult the process will be.
I would be grateful if someone can share the dimensions

Regards

email (option): prabhi2389@gmail.com

Re: How easy it is to meake a Field Stand

Here a war time drawing of a fieldstand. It's quite a bit of work to make one but it can be done. I don't have my bike here so I can't help you with measurements at the moment.

Henk

BSA clamp on foot rests

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I just saw this for sale in Holland.

fieldstand

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Good luck and please keep us in the loop. I may be interested in one or two, if some are for sale rather than for your personal use - I'll need to check the bikes in the back of the pack. But I'm not sure how useful a lathe would be. The main body of the stand is a tube (i.e., hollow) and the rest of the parts do not seem amenable to lathe fabrication.

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

Hi Prabhin

I've Emailed some drawings Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hello Rob,
Thanks for offering to help. I have sent an email from pratap_henry@yahoo.co.in.
Please do check and let me know your views.

email (option): prabhi2389@gmail.com/pratap_henry@yahoo.co.in

Rob I'd appreciate if if you could forward me the specs on the field stand, mines on the way out and I think I might have to make myself up one!

You will need a lathe, milling machine, brazing or welding equipment and a couple of cycle thread taps and dies to make the complete field stand. Also you will have to source, or make, the field stand clip which is spring steel.The bulk of the work is in the main body of the knuckle joint which must be accurately reproduced for the stand to function correctly....Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Whats you E mail Hank?

Thank goodness the knuckle joint that I have is still in good shape....the rest off eqpt. to turn out a field stand is right at hand. I'm going to make up a knuckle joint tho' before that goes tits up on me as well! Any ideas on where I might lay my hands on a field stand clip,Ian? I hear that they are good for the rear stand as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Hank...I know Russell Motors still had original field stand clips fairly recently as I bought one from them, so try there.
The M20 wasn't fitted with a rear stand clip and as long as the rear stand spring is in good condition they don't really need one. The spring holds the stand firmly in the raised position....Ian

Re: How easy it is to make a Field Stand? One for sale

Hi Robb, how much are your pannier steady stays and can you supply a picture please. Rob.

Hi Rob,

I don't know yet. I've just started on the project. Imade the technical drawings last weekm and have visited my fab shop.

It's really a function of demand, cost, and whether or not I can make a bit of profit.

I should know in a week or so. Demand will be harder to gauge. I'm prolly going to make ten sets.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Robb...I used to have a guy make these for me..he has now retired. However, I never had trouble selling them. They are often missing altogether from M20s...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1