Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alton dynamo replacement

Is anyone out there running one of the French Alton alternators that are a direct replacement for the Lucas dynamo?
I would like some first hand information regarding reliability etc. etc. on behalf of a customer. (and I would like to know about them anyway..)...Ian

email (option): julie@wright52.plus.com

Re: Alton dynamo replacement

There is a guy using one here in Holland on a B31. It's a fragile construction and he had quite a lot of problems with it and it makes a hell of a noice.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes, I wandered about that...the output is quite high and therefore the mechanical load on the drive will be proportionally higher as well...maybe too much. Also an alternator exerts a continuous load whereas the dynamo is switched off part of the time....Ian

Hi Ian,
I brought 2 of those from France to install into my WM20's, but as just before I bought it, I also rebuilt all components on the dynamos and installed an MTML regulator (Very good!!)
Hidden inside an original Lucas box,
I kept my 6V system, which became very reliable,
especially after replacing the sidecar and rear lights with economical LED type.

However, I just finished rebuilding an engine and planning to run it shortly (Hopefully by weekend) with the Alton alternator, so may be able to have an update..

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi Noam...I'll look forward to your observations....Ian

Nearly every other bike forum has pro's a nd cons for the Alton. Only you as the owner of one can tell us. I do believe there newest single phase ones are more robust.

I fear the poor old consumer is being used as a development rider by many of the people who produce such things as these Alternators, Electronic regulators, Electronic ignitions, Belt drive kits etc, etc.
From my own experience I know some products are in their third or fourth 'generation'...yet without exception they were initially advertised as the 'dogs bollocks' in the first version...patently not the case.
I have become increasingly wary, as most of these 'improved' items are usually considerably more expensive than the original set up and frequently turn out not to be an improvement at all.. ...Ian

is it not possible to run a small say honda 90 alternater off the crank it may have to alter the chain case a little a fray bentos steak and kidney pudding tin might do and you can have a nice dinner bonus

Nieuwe pagina 1