Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Armoured Triumph 3HW

I was perusing Back Street Heroes magazine this evening and noticed an interesting/amusing armoured Triumph 3HW. I didn't look long enough to learn if this was a custom job, or a re-vamped military experiment. Either way, it might be worth a peek. Expect to see a 3HW with armour plate/steel sheets on one side only and a mounted machine gun and some other hardware. If the British military ever toyed with this idea, pass the word, please.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: Armoured Triumph 3HW

They did indeed Danny, experimentally for Airfield defence. It was written up in some detail in one of the classic mags some years ago.

Although it sounds odd, it was intended as a means of getting a Bren into position quickly in the event of attack and the armour provided some cover once the bike was laid on its side as a static firing position.

The armour was counterbalanced by the Bren ammo boxes on the other side

Hello Rik. Yes, you've refreshed my memory. I do remember reading something about this. I love these wonderful ideas that blossomed out of World War Two. Pity so many of them were pretty hairbrained (in hindsight). But all the same, they were wonderful attempts to move the game forward and win the war.

Dammit Danny, it was this very forum !

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1022720&cmd=show

My excuse for not remembering is that the Chimay Triple is adling extremely well this evening.

As the original Classic Motor Cycle said, it was a side valve 3SW Triumph, made in Coventry. That is before the Germans added the word coventrieren to the British language.
Maybe they should have put some on the roofs, in stead of running around on some deserted airfield

email (option): rvanmeel@wanadoo.nl

I have pictures and cannot find them!!! I will look later, if somebody has not already posted them.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Re: Armoured Triumph 3HW - note to Rik

Hi Rik, can't read everything on the forum, and can't remember everything I read. I think it was Sherlock Holmes who said something like: "Mark my words, Watson. There comes a time when for every new fact you learn, something has to be forgotten." Well I passed that point about 20 years ago.

P.S. Which forum did you say it was on?

Hi all

Sean Walsh had a 3sw with an armoured plate at beltring this year, it was featured in a military vehicle magazine recently, a review of the 2010 show.

It looked great but unusual

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Found it.......

Triumph TRW Airfield Defence

It is the only picture I have found so far, but here's hoping.

I wonder how you check the gearbox oil? or remove the plug lead to stop some nazi paratrooper steeling your bike?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Rik
They did indeed Danny, experimentally for Airfield defence. It was written up in some detail in one of the classic mags some years ago.

Here's the complete article:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jan (rewdco)

Photobucket

“And now it's your turn to get up off that couch and go into the deserts, go into the mountains, go under the lakes, rivers, and seas and search for history. You'll never find a more rewarding adventure!” (Clive Cussler)

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks for that, I could only find that one part page.....

Nieuwe pagina 1