Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
speedo repair, more

there is a retaining pin/screw/ something...stopping the bezel being removed. it locks the rim where there is a small indent to stop it unscrewing. before i butcher it, is this an easy part to remove, and how do i get it out?

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Re: speedo repair, more

No it really is just a very fine pitch thread. corrosion from the steel body will be exerting a tremendous friction on the brass bezel. Its not reverse pitch or anything like that, I found careful application of WD40 round the rim or the graphite loaded releasing oil. 'Rustola' or 3 in 1 penetrating oil. Helps soften the rust and eventually allow the bezel to turn.

email (option): c.coxon@blueyonder.co.uk

sorry, no...
there is a visible pin? at the lower edge of the bezel there is a semi circular indent and a pin, screw, rivet??? stopping the rim from unscrewing. that has to be removed before the rim can unscrew. i wanted to know whether that has to be ground off or how it should be removed.

That is an alloy rivet which is there to stop squaddies removing the rim and altering the milage (so a service corp man told me) a sort of security device. If you look very carefully some have smiths stamped in them. Unfortunatley they are fitted like a pop rivet and removing them normally ruins them. I have a very fine chisel to carefully remove the head, so I can glue it back on after overhaul.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Here is that rivet in a NOS speedo. It does indeed have SMITHS stamped on it, and what looks like M1. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ive not had that rivet on any of the 4 WD smiths chronometrics that have come with my bikes - I bow to greater depth of experience on that one :)But the thread still is a bugger ;)

email (option): c.coxon@blueyonder.co.uk

Beware everyone who pulls these WD speedos apart. They used a very poor potmetal for the bases for their clockwork on them which just crumbles if using any force. Ask me how i know!!

thanks mick, ron...
tried the gentle approach, but the rivet came apart. shame that.
on inspection some of the gears are stripped and the needle jammed.
who is recommended to sort it out as i'm too heavy handed!

I'd do it for nothing but i'm in Oz!

Nieuwe pagina 1