KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ken Brown

From this morning’s Craven Herald:
A former Cowling man, Ken Brown, has died at the age of 64.
Born in Colne, Mr Brown was brought up in Cowling and was educated at Keighley Boys’ Grammar School before gaining a place at Birmingham University.
He spent most of his life in Zambia, the Solomon Islands, Bermuda and lately in Darwin, Australia, where he died last month.
He was employed as a lawyer and judge working for the Crown Agents.
“He will be missed by family and friends,” said his sister-in-law Christine Brown.

Re: Ken Brown deceased Australia

It seems that Ken Brown was almost a contemporary of Arthur Grimble. Grimble wrote a lively book 'A Pattern of Islands' about the South Pacific where he was a UK government district officer. Grimble's book was well read by KBGS pupils in the library in Keighley and Oakbank.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1969

Current location (optional) Bradford

Sorry to quibble but Ken Brown was hardly contempory with Arthur Grimble who died in 1956 aged 68 when Ken would still be at primary school."A Pattern of Islands",which we "did" in Gilbert Swift's English lessons was about his experiences in the 1920s and 1930s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1961

Current location (optional) Filey

Thanks for the update. To be fair I did say that Arthur Grimble and Ken Brown were 'almost contemporaries' not precise. I thought that the book by Arthur Grimble 'A pattern of Islands' must have inspired a lot of KBGS guys and later Oakbank GS chaps to take careers that involved a great deal of travel. I worked in five foreign countries before settling down in the London area for the final phase of my career. Such as it was. But I remain Bingley through and through.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1969

Current location (optional) Deep South