KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Xmas at KBGS?

What used to happen at KBGS around Xmas time? I suppose you were too old for nativity plays and such like. Was it just a case of looking forward to the break...and the presents of yore (an orange, some nuts and a spinning top all in a pillow/sock)

Re: Xmas at KBGS?

At KBGS, if you were lucky, you might get let off homework.

I think we were let off more than homework - I remember playing board games in class, being told to sit and read novels to ourselves, generally to take it easy. The cynic in me now thinks that maybe it was an excuse for Masters to ease the burden of their festive hangovers.

To each and everyone of you, have a very merry xmas, and a great new year, thanks Chris for your work in keeping this site alive. Whilst I tend to despise "ecards", this one is quite well done http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=0212320003

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

The only 'celebration' that I can remember was 'marching' along North Street to the annual Carol Service held at St. Andrew's on Church Street with 'Ball' geting carried away with his solo on the organ!

Latterly, after the demise of KBGS the service was transferred to St. John's, Ingrow.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Yes David, I recall the Carol Services at the Parish Church (as it was usually referred to) but I don't recall traipsing down from Ingrow when the new Grammar School opened. What did we do then for our carols?
Incidentally St. Andrew's has been renamed, I understand.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Carol service! CAROL service? CAROL SERVICE?!! You lucky, lucky bastards! No such thing in our day. Far as I remember carols had hardly been invented so far as school was concerned - maybe just a dribble in morning assembly, a concession to Christmas, during the last week of term. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Terry).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

I don't recall any festive atmosphere in the school at Christmas. There was some excitement that the end of term was about due and the older lads were looking forward to a few days on the Christmas post. I don't even recall hearing the Christmas story from whatever source read in Assembly, although I do recall Prut reading to 4a short stories and extracts from Tolkien. We all thought The Christmas Carol was better suited as he would not need to assume theatrical voice for the principal role.Christmas wasn't played up so much - everyone seemed to take it in their stride with none of the manic panic currently seen in the throughways of town.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

You know Shaun, I think I do recall "traipsing down" into Town from the New School for a carol service. That would be the one and only Christmas we were there, wouldn't it? I remember Joe badgering us about bringing overcoats or raincoats for the purpose, and my deliberately omitting to do so. (Well, it was incumbent on me to set the right example at the time, wasn't it?)
And John, now you mention it, I do remember the "festivities" extended to bringing a book of our choice to read during lessons - probably with a beating for anyone forgetting to do so!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

My recollection of Christmas was of Wilbur Bloomfield (I think it was him ,he was Deputy Head at the time )teaching us to sing "All come all ye faithful "in Latin
Such was his teaching I still remember it and much to the dismay of my children I still sing it at the local carol service
We also learnt "Silent Night "in German from a chap I can't recall but I think his nickname was Heine and at a recent carol service in Germany I managed to remember all the verses
Such is the power of KBGS learning !!!!!!!!!!!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Gilsland Cumbria

I know that I'm trying to recall events and happenings sixty plus years ago, but I don't seem to be able to bring to mind anything special which occurred at Christmas time whilst at KBGS. I remember being allowed to take home the wooden spade scraper and the plant dibber created under the watchful eye of Bill Midgley in Woodwork lesson. I also recall Gilbert Swift allowing us to play 'Pirates' in the gym when just about every piece of equipment was brought into use. But was that exclusively at Christmas or at the end of every term?

Wasn't the Prefects Ball held at the Girls' Grammar School just before Christmas? I only attended a couple of times, but it was there that I met the girl who was eventually to become my wife. Now that was special! Does anyone else have memories of the Prefects' Ball?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk