KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can anybody confirm the last year of KBGS

I would like someone to confirm the last year of KBGS, before it became Keighley School then Oakbank Grammar School. Would the youngest KBGS old boys be 50 or am I mistaken? Thanks in advance.

Re: Can anybody confirm the last year of KBGS

School moved from the centre of town at the end of Spring term 1964. After the move to Oakbank, it was known for a time as Keighley School,and then, ironically, Oakbank Grammar School when it went comprehensive. The youngest proper KBGS old boys, therefore, will be at least 53.

Just to confirm IW's note. The school at Oakbank opened in April 1964, just before my A levels.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Well, I suppose, if we say the youngest KBGS lads are 53 and the oldest might be 93. Which means there are four decades to go before the last genuine KBGS lad draws breath. So 40 more years of attending this website after just eight years actually going to KBGS. A sobering thought.

I started at the Grammar School in September 1964 and it was Keighley Boys Grammar School at that time. Nothing really changed dramatically except that inserts in books said Keighley School and the report sheets changed as well.

Th uniform didn't change until it went to the black of Oakbank, but even that was gradual , with green blazers and the striped blazers still being common.

It would appear there was no "official" announcement of the change, it just seemed to come about but I would suggest it was from September 1965 that the change was "official"

Unless anyone knows differently.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) !964-1970

Current location (optional) Keighley - Still

Whatever year it was it was a good year!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-1964

Current location (optional) keighley