KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inside the old school - then and now

I seem to recall that one of our more regular contributors to the site 'volunteered' to visit the old place and take photos of corridors/classrooms. Is this still to happen or is it ongoing; looking at the photo section of the site there's precious little evidence of how it used to be?
A further rummage through my library of memorabilia didn't produce a single shot other than "the great fire" ones which featured in 'The Keighlian'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Re: Inside the old school - then and now

Yes, I did volunteer to take some photos inside tha building as it is now if one of our contacts could gain access for me. Unfortunately he isn't in a position to do so. Your reminder has, however, prompted me to see if I can chat up the current occupants in 2006. If I can gain access I will send any photos to Chris.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Excellent photo Anthony of you and the wife. Hope the former Tinakori Towers' girls don't spot it. Old passions may be aroused. Me, well I was always keen on the BGS lassies especially the ones living up Park Road.

Photos of the old KBGS building as it is now are now posted on the site [thanks Chris].

Wonderful photos, Shaun. Thanks for doing this. Till now, this site has been pretty much in low resolution black and white. Nice to see the school again pretty much as we would have experienced it. That Joe's office is now a lavvy is the apogee of poetic justice. But wasn't the office facade much wider, with a glass-fronted bit to the secretary's office?? Maybe they narrowed the corridor when they built the convenience?? Everything else is pretty much recognisable (including, I think, the
tunnel). See the door off to the left in the tunnel photo? Did that used to be the toilets where you got baptised on your first day at school??? Anyway - I'm sure there'll be a lot more posts on this topic. Once again, thanks for doing this.

Brilliant photos. They will resonate around the world of KBGS old boys. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, USA and the UK. the memories will come flooding back.

Thanks, Shaun. A great service to the unashamed "nostalgicks" that frequent this site.Many shots were not as recognisable to me as your captions confidently declare. This experience compares with a personal visit to another of my alma maters where rooms known well to me were "disguised" by subdivision, stud-walls and gloss. I am sure there will be many recollections provoked by this fascinating resurrection of the old school and hopefully these will be shared with the rest of us. I am working on my own contributions already! These are a great contribution to the site.Thank you.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Allan, the door to the left of the tunnel led into a "cloakroom" which is now so full of stored furniture that it would not have been worth taking a photo. There was, however, a small area at one end that was partially walled off and tiled. I don't remember that from the old days but it looked to me like it had once been a small shower area. The toilets that were reputed to double as a font were not accessed from the tunnel. If you look at Image 9 you will see the steps down to the tunnel, accessed via a door to the right at the bottom of the steps. There used to be a doorway to the left which led into the baptismal toilets. This area has since become a boilerhouse. Regarding the corridor outside Joe's office - yes it has been narrowed considerably and, given what's behind it now, it's no wonder the glass wall has been removed.
I've been in touch with the college again and they've invited me back to get shots of the areas I couldn't access - some because there were exams in progress and some because they are in a dangerous state and I'll be required to have a hard hat. [Mind you, can't be as dangerous as being in a classroom with Vince.]

Forgive my ignorance, but didn't the fire destroy much of the old school? Yet it seems a lot survives. What was lost in the fire then?

Current location (optional) Singapore

The door to the left on the bottom corridor gave access to a subterranean changing-room, wash basins and showers (correct, Shaun)that were used (in my time)by: classes going to games at Stoneycroft (KGGS Utley)by bus from outside the Regent; teams training after school in Cliffe Castle, running in studded boots there and back; and teams changing for Saturday morning house matches travelling by service bus to Rose Cottage (where School 1st and 2nd XV games were played) roughly approximating to where the Keighley RUFC ground is now.These latter were educating experiences because it was there that, as a junior aspirant, you rubbed shoulders with the big boys, changing and showering together. The junior teams (upto 4th year)usually played first and then manned the touchline encouraging the "firsts" to fight hard for the points brought by a win.A 1st XV win earned 8 pts and a 2nd 6pts towards the Rugby Cup. Likewise points were scored in the cricket matches at Lawkholme.Getting up in time to play for the "seconds" (kick off 0930 on a Saturday morning) when Ronnie Scott, the Kirchen Band, Eric Delaney et al had been playing the Baths Hall the night before was a real challenge.

May I add my thanks and congratulations Shaun.
Its amusing Joes office is a toilet, I guess for he most part he was a Gentleman, unless you incurred his wrath.
Wasnt the first floor corridor (Image 3) 'D' corridor ?
Arent some of the coats of arms (image 5) those of the school 'houses' ? In the early days of this site I argued till I was blue in the face that it was Longden, rather than Longsden house. Maybe the coats of arms would settle it ! What are the other coats of arms, the only recognisable one is Keighley's own.
The annexe in Alice Street just beyond Leda ice cream (image 10) where we were housed in 1A with Percy Peart was at the time the Central Youth Club.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

The annex originally was Alice Street Methodist Church. My aunt was married there one midweek day when there was no organist available. Stanley Bishop, organist at the Ritz cinema, was practising that day. Someone opened the cinema doors and at a given signal he belted out the Bridal March as my aunt went into the Chapel.The last time I was in the building was when I sat my last set of external exams.Possibly a sign of Watthey's egalitarianism - Shaun in Image 4 calls the staircase the "masters" Staircase. - Under his predecessor it was known as the headmaster's staircase. The school called it "Old Nick's stairs".Image 13 - this was referred to by Old Nick as the Lord Street entrance. Almost directly opposite was the in-town clubhouse of the Keighlians where they hosted school senior teams with beer and pies and peas at the end of the season to induce them to join the club after leaving school.

Quite right Terry. Your memory is better than mine. It was the Lord Street entrance of course - Alice Street was the one with Leda and the annexe wasn't it?
Given your memory, you may be able to help. I am going to return to take shots of the gym and other bits I couldn't get at last time. Can you remember the location of the staffroom? For some reason the overpowering smell of tobacco smoke hasn't lingered for eternity as seemed likely when I was last there.

It's amazing to think that the entire school made its way back into the building after break via those narrow steps and corridor (nicknamed the drainpipe, wasn't it?)

I'm having a bit of a struggle here - recalling what was on which floor. In the early '50s, the staffroom was on the 2nd floor at the North Street end, directly above Miss Reilly's office and Old Nick. Whereas Miss Reilly's office had glazing and the interior could be seen, the staffroom had a panelled wall with high level glazing. It was at the top of the master's staircase. There would frequently be a queue of lads outside almost all waiting for Prut. If you dared to knock at the door, Albert took delight in opening it wide, pipe in his mouth, shouting "Go away" or some such greeting. The Library was a small, gloomy room (Prut, as Librarian, was often in there) at the opposite end of the master's corridor ( corner of the cardboard corridor; at the top of the main school stairs; at the foot of the small flight of stairs to the "D" Corridor.) I think this became the next staff room (though enlarged?) when the library moved into much,lighter,roomier accomodation on the floor below, the same level as Old Nick. I think the old staff room was retained as a quiet,marking room. (I seem to recall that the majority of staff came into assembly by descending the stairs.) These changes were made before Watthey arrived, probably around 1957/8. I expect contemporary issues of the school magazine could help here.As for the "bogs" and baptismal fonts, they were in the corner of the "L" shaped block that flanked the yard, at the end of the bike sheds that can be seen in the team photographs.Entry to them was a left turn at the bottom of the slope from the yard or via a dark connecting corridor from the tunnel (the "black hole")and a short flight of stairs - a hellova long way if you were taken short and in lessons in D5.Good luck on your next visit, Shaun. I would be interested to have a skeg round myself and see how much of the above is inaccurate.

Crikey, what memories. Things have obviously changed a lot in the old building, but there are things one recognises with varying emotions. I wouldn't mind having a look in there myself - any chance coming with you next time you go Shaun?

Some great pictures from Shaun, well done indeed!
The inside corridors all look to have had firedoors fitted since our days, which detract quite a bit from the nostalgia don't you think? Also the general decor looks brighter.
I can recall many of the things described by Terry in the post 1957-8 / Watthey era, however. In particular, to reach the staffroom, I think you would need to ascend the main stairs, past the entrance to the assembly hall and the stained glass windows. At the top you will have "cardboard corridor" (rooms 58-60), leading to former chemistry labs on your right and, to your left, the short flight up to D corridor. Straight ahead, and possibly the first door on the right, is where I think the staffroom would have been.
If you do go again, Shaun, please look if the name "Longsdon" appears on any part of the stained glass window and, if so, photograph it legibly! (I'm pretty sure you won't find "Longden" or any of the other suggested variants, and this could be a chance to lay the argument to rest).
As I reported a couple of years ago, I had a good (uninvited) snoop around the place which helped to refresh the old memory cells. No-one seemed the least bit concerned, but that's F.E. for you! (I wouldn't take photos for publication without permission of course - Contemporaries might remember my unstinting respect for authority!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

Bit unreasonable of them to put cars in the yard. Still,I'm sure we could still play touch rugby there.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Where was the map room?i.e. the room where the only teacher in the UK would splutter in complete silence while drawing with coloured chalks an immaculate map, which we would copy.The Vince Map, a work of art.

Just realised no one replied to Chris's query above.
Chris, the part of the building that was more or less destroyed was Keighley's Municipal Hall, on the front corner of the building nearest the Town Hall Square and underneath/behind the clock tower. This part of the building was not used by , or part of the school.
There wasnt too much damage to the school itself, and we did manage to use the school for another 3 years.
Our own form room at the time , at far end of D corridor was as one of the nearer school rooms to the fire as it backed on the central light well, across from the more damaged part. Certainly our room caught a lot of water damage, even books inside our 'lid-topped' desks were not immune.
It is thought the fire started by the stage curtains catching alight from a cigarette butt, but there are other theories too.

No Brian. The stories about Vince and spontaneous combustion were not true. There were reliable reports of sightings of him after the fire.

Brian, didn't school dinners 'happen' in the Municipal Hall, or was that in a former life?

Vince still exists, he lives in Bridgnorth, unless its his ghost. I have an address.

Brian - wasn't the municipal hall bit used for school dinners?? Also, Shaun, did we used to have to go up a short staircase to get to the gym, or am imagining that? And where was Bill Midgeley's woodwork and metalwork empire? Was that in the same neck of the woods as the gym???

Short staircase to gym - yes. Photos within the next few weeks I hope.
Bill Midge's place has long since faded from my memory though.

I think Bill Midgeley's woodwork place was down below somewhere..a dank and dangerous place,with masters hurling bits of wood at incompetent students.I've a feeling some may think I'm not taking this seriously.

I never had a school dinner in my life at any school I attended (I was always able to get home and back) so I wouldnt have remembered if school dinners were in in Municipal Hall.
Bill Midge's empire had its windows on to Lord Street towards the Town Hall Square end, but I cant remember how you got there.
It would be an interesting idea if some one could construct the old floor plans. Difficult with all those small passages , stairways etc. !

Talking floor plans, I seem to remember going up a few steps from the ground floor corridor and then turning left into the gym changing rooms, then into the gym. As one went into the gym from here, the windows on the left looked out onto Lord Street. Wasn't the gym under the hall? The hall was a floor and a half above ground level - high enough to have the gym under it?
If one ignored the gym entrance (which I must admit I did as often as I could) further along on the left was the woodwork room, which ran along the back of the gym, again with windows looking out onto Lord Street.
And wasn't the entrance to the dining/Municipal hall at the end of this corridor?
I'm not sure about all this - it is a while ago!!

Yes Allan. You've got gym and hall placed correctly. Don't know about the woodwork room though. Keighley College may have some old plans. I'll check with them on my next visit.

Allan's recollection fits mine. At the end of the gym corridor and to the left - with double doors- was Wood/Metalwk. Turn right and facing was the side entrance (right of stage) to the Mechanics Hall. Just before the doorway was a flight of stairs to the right to the kitchen first but keep on the stairs past the kitchen (turning first right then left) and you would come to the door at the rear right ( as old Nick and staff would see it)of the school hall. Can anyone help with the orientation of the Image6? If the double doors were the ones that opened into the Junior Corridor (Room 33 upwards) then the doorway to the Mechanics should be in the far corner by the purple door but not in that position. I suspect the hall has been made smaller by a partition at that end.The old photograph of the hall is not of the same view.Food for thought, Shaun, for your next trip.

In my recollection of the hall, as it was, there were three entrances. One from the flight of steps that lead up to the stained glass window, one at the opposite end that led into a corridor, and one at the side of the hall which opened onto a flight of stairs that led down to places I have forgotten. There was, I think, a stage to the left if you entered through the first of these doors. If that is correct, the photo is looking across the hall towards the side door, which should be at the other side of the partition wall that has now been built.

My initial take on image 6 was that it was taken towards the doors onto the main staircase, and that that was the corner where all the 'lates' used to stand for the notices, ie the stage was to the left of these doors. I'm not sure now, in fact, if this is true, where the hell does the door in the corner lead to?????

I had the same idea as Allan until I looked at the other photo -"Old hall and new at Oakbank" in the "Fire" section of the Photos. If you compare this with Image6, it helps. Image6 must be of the back of the hall and the double doors the ones that led into the Junior Corridor of classrooms.Are the modern buildings seen through the windows the replacements for the fire-damaged sections of the Mechanics? I should get out more!

I think you're spot on, Terry. It looks from Image6 that the staircase down to the dining area and Bill Midge's empire may have gone, but I would think it would have been behind where that purple door is now. This might answer the question in my previous post.
One thing I mever noticed about the hall was the curved ceiling supports, which now seem more exaggerated. Talk about getting out more! And another, what always interested me was the way the bannister on the main staircase followed the level of the stairs, hence the horizontal bit outside the hall!! Oo, good, it's stopped raining, must get out.

I agree that Image6 looks to be of the assembly hall, from a position just inside the main door on the stairs. If so, this would be the area where "late-passes" (myself amongst them) stood whilst notices were read out following the daily "religious bit". The stage was on the right-hand side of these doors as you entered.
The shot of the rear wall looks totally different though. Weren't there double doors but no windows in our day? (Is it possible an extra partition has been installed across the back?)
With regard to the doorway leading down to the kitchens and dining area/Municipal Hall; this was in the right-hand wall (if most of us are interpreting the photo correctly), but several feet from the back. There were always 2 or 3 rows of benches between that doorway and the back wall, with a gap to walk between these rows and the many in front of them.
We were made to congregate in the hall each day before dinner and wait for the duty master to dismiss us in (supposedly) orderly manner down the stairs.
Incidentally, who else remembers the style of those benches in the Hall?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

Brian, I think the clue to sussing this is to check out the photo of the old hall (pre fire) that's listed elswhere in the photos section. From this you can see what they've done - i.e. erect a partition wall at he point in the old hall that had a supporting archway. The other photo is taken from the opposite end of the hall, looking towards the door to the main staircase. You can see the (at that time) freestanding archway). The old benches were a miraculous contraption with backrests that swung over on cast iron hinges to become desktops (carved with the names and initials of generations of teenagers with identity crises). If they survive, you'll probably find an "AJ" amongst these...

The "late passes" were a bit of a con. Public transport in those days was good and, although there were kids coming in from far-flung places, there was some swinging of the lead. The "late passholders" seemed to think they had a special status in every aspect of school life - being excused involvement or released early etc. "I live in Earby" seemed to them to be the perfect absolution. The Barlick and Earby contingent would drift into school any time after 0915. I caught the 0820 Leeds train one day en route to an interview. Amongst the alighting Skipton passengers were the said contingent who would take another hour to get to the Lord Street entrance.When the hall was used for PS or examinations, the benches were a veritable mantrap and parts anatomical were at risk if you shared the bench with a shuffler or a sadist.

>>The Barlick and Earby contingent

You mean boys from Lancs attended too?
They must have got the treatment!

Current location (optional) Singapore

I was never aware of a "Barlick & Earby Contingent" - where the Hell are they anyway?
For my own part, being a late-pass holder meant missing the religious part of assembly (never a heavy sacrifice)in exchange for catching a bus at 8.00 rather than 7.30.
I don't recall using it for other skives, but the memory can be selective when the occasion suits! Distance limited my ambitions (is how I like to relate it) in representing the school at sports, etc., although I did make the effort for Saturday house matches. That knocked a big hole in the weekend.

When I was at KBGS, Barlick (Barnoldswick to the uninitiated) and Earby were in Yorkshire. They only went into Lancashire when the boundaries were reorganised in 1974.
A quote from the Friends of Real Lancashire's newsletter reads:
"The largest chunk of White Rose territory that now appears in the sphere of the Red Rose on maps, is the beautiful area around Bowland, containing Earby, Barnoldswick, Waddington and Rimington. The Yorkshire Ridings Society have long campaigned for the return of this area and its people, the most westerly part of Yorkshire, to the county. Further south, in the area of Saddleworth, another chunk of the West Riding disappeared into 'Greater Manchester'."
So, to answer Chris's query, no they didn't get the treatment, they were Yorkshire folk!

It has been mentioned before but Queensbury, near Halfax, also used to send pupils to KBGS. Now what is the distance between Queensbury and Earby/Barnoldswick? A heck of a lot. The catchment area of KBGS was mind boggling.

Using Microsoft Autoroute, 22 miles. (via, Haworth, the 'Herders' and Foulridge). 27.3 miles via Keighley.

Unfortunately, buses (from Queensbury at least) didn't provide a direct link to Keighley - and still don't so far as I'm aware. This necessitated a journey via Bradford, extending the distance to about 15 miles (2 buses) from the 10 miles or so as the crow flies.
The huge "catchment area" was presumably a consequence of Keighley, and all far-flung places mentioned, coming under the administration of the former WRCC (actually centred in Wakefield). Queensbury was one such village, but is now controlled by Bradford as a result of local government reorganisation.

Keighley had quite an individual position in local government prior to the (now frequent) reform of areas of local government and of their status. At the time under discussion, if not the largest non-county borough in the country, Keighley was up there with the largest. A consequence of this was that Keighley was given the rare status of "Excepted District" for education which meant that although funded from the WRCC, it had a degree of autonomy in education in the borough. Hence, the Local Education Office near the bus station and town hall - and the position of Education Officer, filled with distinction, by Mr Fred Pedley. Although what this has to do with kids from Queensbury (without the borough)having places at KBGS, I know not. It may have been down to parental choice and a shortage of places in the more closely located Bradford Grammar schools.

You're quite right Terry, about the "Excepted District" status of Keighley and all the other related info. The presence of lads from Queensbury, Barlick etc. wasn't connected though. Each state Grammar School was required to provide a certain number of places [180 at KBGS in theyear I started because of the "baby boom", fewer in other years] and Keighley was no exception. If, when places had been given to pupils from inside the local area who had passed the 11+, there were still places available these were allocated to lads from outside the district who wanted [for some inexplicable reason] to go to KBGS. Despite some of your comments Brian C your decision to go shows that you clearly must have had a very high regard for KBGS - at least before you started attending.

Or your parents did!!

Allan W's hit the nail on the head - KGS was largely my Mum's preference (I'll ask her why next week!), although I had no objections myself. Our alternative grammar school within WRCC was Hipperholm, smaller and of generally lower profile, but a lot closer and accessible by about a 15 minute bus ride (in fact a regular choice of Queensbury lads' parents). There was also Queensbury Secondary Modern.
Quite what this has to do with either the post-war baby boom or spare capacity I don't know, because lads had always attended KGS from our village (even in my parents' era). There were five of us in my year, placed in Forms 1C, E and F, plus a couple who attended Keighley Tech. This seems to me merely a reflection of general extra provision made in 1958 for the boom (incease to 6 form entry from the previous 4).
Bradford's schools were unavailable to us, for the reasons I mentioned earlier concerning local government boundaries. The only exceptions were a few academically exclusive scholarships to the two single-sex "Bradford Grammar" schools and one place at the mixed Thornton GS.

Back to the old school - more photos soon - another appointment next week.

Brian, Hipperholme Grammar is private/public/fee-paying (what the hell do you call them?) these days - was it in our day? If so, that probably gives you the reason for the choice being KBGS.

That's correct Allan (including your spelling of it probably!), but it didn't "go private" (or "what the hell they call it") until the 70s or 80s, when such schools were avoiding the dreaded Comp. status.

In the war years the boys from Queensbury took the train on the old Gt Northern line which travelled on the left of the road to Haworth .Quite an incline and I think over the old Cullingworth viaduct. This service was to and from Bradford and had the benefit of being direct, unlike the bus service mentioned previously.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Mike, I think the line you refer to was the one that went through the Ingrow East station. The line was torn up years ago. My earliest recollections are of 2 stations at Ingrow. Ingrow West was on the line to Haworth and Oxenhope, and is now part of the Worth Valley Railway. Ingrow East existed only as a station in the early fifties; the lines had already gone well before Beeching.

Mike & Shaun are both correct in all respects.
Trains through Ingrow East proceeded via Lees Moor tunnel (under Crossroads) to Cullingworth and eventually to either Bradford or Halifax via the triangular station named Queensbury (which was, in fact, almost a mile from the village itself and at several hundred feet lower elevation - hence little used other than as an interchange).
The entire system, including about 12 stations, closed to passengers in May 1955 but parts of it (including the short Keighley - Ingrow bit) continued to be used for freight until about 1965. The lines were carried by many spectacular engineering works, a few of which (eg Thornton and Hewenden viaducts) are now listed monuments. Heavy maintenance costs, particularly of two long tunnels, led to a premature demise.
I think we've well and truly lost the original thread here Guys!

Quite another train of thought altogether eh?? Ho ho!!

Seriously though, the images of the old school were wonderful to see. Despite the various changes it's still possible to mentally wander through the tunnels, corridors etc etc.
Well done Shaun.

First of all ,many thanks to Shaun for the photos of the school interior. I hope to get in there myself later this year and have a look around , they dont mind old codgers wandering about I hope or do we now constitute a threat? As I remember, and it is a fair time ago , In at the main entrance off Skipton Road the corridor straight ahead led to the Lord St entrance. Stairs on the right went to the "dungeons" where my form room was. Bare bulbs and no windows, it must have been under the Municipal Hall. At the far end I think was the Music room with tiered seating in a half circle. A door nearby led into the Art school and was out of bounds.
Stairs up went to first floor with the heads study on the left,with his secretaries office first and then Nev in the inner sanctum. There was a form room in the corner overlooking the playground. Down the corridor on the left was the prefect common room and futher downthe main stairs , with the doors to the assembly hall on the right.
Past these doors and up the stairs on the right was a corridor perhaps referred to as the "cardboard" corridor previously. Scratcher Morgan took Geography in the first of three classrooms and at the far end wwas the Chemistry lab. Opposite this corridor, left at the landing is a bit hazy, was it classrooms or the Gymnasium ? Who can forget the smell of the changing rooms. I think Midgleys Woodwork room was either past the Gym or else at the end of the corridor at the back of the assembly hall.
On the top floor was the Art Room. this looked out onto tiles and then Lord St . There was a space under the roof which led to the art school. Every one was forced to go outside at playtime, which wasn't too good in the harsh winters of the 40's . By ducking down when the bell went we slid back apanel of the wall and crept in and spent the ten or fifteen minutes in the luxury of the Art school wandering down to the door in the dungeons ready for the next lesson, warm and dry.
No doubt there are errors in this as it is many years ago so please fire away with corrections. by the way during the war school dinners were served in the Municipal Hall and Speech Day was held there too.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras ,Tasmania

On a visit home in '82 I wandered through the Lord Street entrance and was immediately challenged by a custodian from an office just inside the door.When I told him of my connection,he offered to show me around and I finished up buying him a a cuppa in the staff canteen.After over 30 years since I was last in there, it was a very nostalgic visit. Mike, you are quite correct,school dinners were still being served in the Mechanics Hall as late as the early '50s.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

And even later - right up until the fire in the early 60s. After that, our dinners were served in Alice Street annexe, which probably necessitated two "sittings" (although I can't be sure of that).

Oooooooooops. Posted a response to Brian's continuing belief that LONGSDON was always LONGDEN on Cedric Binns' post in error. Here it comes again:

I've just noticed in a 'Photo' post that Brian (Mr Memory) Moate states: 'My memory is not always accurate but I'm fairly sure this was the story' - I've just scanned a LONGSDON House report by Kevin Hawkins in 1963 which I hope Brian will accept as proof that his memory isn't all that good and that his House was LONGSDON and not LONGDEN. Chris should add it to the site in the near future.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Dave, I'll buy you a drink!