KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's happened to Anthony G. Smith?

What has happened to Anthony G. Smith, the peerless KBGS historian and famous seducer of Janet Strumpf and few more local lassies besides?

Re: What's happened to Anthony G. Smith?

Still here, Ronald; just that I hadn't anything worthwhile (and relevant) to report of late.There seems to be a dearth of contributors from my/our era and some recent entries have questionable relevance to KBGS. Are you from my 'vintage' - if so please direct me to your mug shot on the 1964 panorama - assuming you were present for the photocall.
Briefly on the question of the "ladies" - here are a few names to conjure with; obviously no specific comment can be made as this unfortunately is outside th scope of the site:-
Julia Lovatt (very special), Marilyn Knopps, Marion Hammond, Margaret Barran, Margaret Mitchell and Shirley Thornton.
These names are mainly culled from the girls at Greenhead Grammar but include one from 'Oakbank' from the initial female intake.
I've been toying with the idea of exhibiting extracts from my school report - the good bits naturally and may post something before Christmas.
Incidentally does anyone have the green and white striped blazer in wearable condition (inc. school badge) with which they're prepared to part?
Although the following should form a separate thread and has generally been previously addressed - I'm trying to locate the whereabouts of Robert Humphries who was in the Arts Sixth with me in those halcyon? days. Went to LSE for languages, believed to work for UN (country unknown) and when at school lived with parents quite close to 'Oakbank' in Oakworth. Any info. would be appreciated.
All for now but look out for some scintillating master's comments on my academic performance.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Shirley Thornton was the only girl from the initial Oakbank intake. An attractive comely blonde, I believe. I surmise there were about ten of these mould-breaking girls. I am presuming the educational planners in Wakefield were thinking 'let's try a few lassies out on these chauvinistic lads and see what happens'. Well, they were not sexually assaulted within the first ten minutes -- nor were custard pies thrown in their faces. It all went relatively painlessly after a hundred years of male exclusivity. And no doubt much to Gilbert Swift's chagrin, a netball court suddenly appeared.

Can't you add any more flesh to the bones of my response/enquiry Robert? There are a few morsels in there worthy of further comment. Yes, the long-haired Shirley was the only Oakbank girl out of those mentioned. Am struggling with names of the others apart from a couple of christian names: Margaret (red facial cheeks and slightly prominent teeth) and Glynis (ginger hair - 'went out with' Jason Harrod).

To be honest Anthony that's about all I can remember about that period 1965/66. Some of us noticed there was a surge in 'incidents' that would require the Rev. Arthur Edward Watthey to intervene and punish. One felt that control was harder to establish and that the new pupils were less likely to accept the rules that previously were accepted without question. And as has been pointed out before it was at this point that Joe Watthey chose to jump ship and seek and out a less arduous school in leafy Leicestershire. And who can blame him. Why run a difficult comprehensive when you can quietly administrate a selective senior school. Unless former KBGS pupil Peter Watthey can enlighten us about this change of school/political regime?

Let's hope that others reading this thread will be able to add something ideally on the 'ladies' front and maybe those additional points I raised.
Managed to find my KBGS Report Books, a couple of terms' comments of which I have sent to Chris for entry in the 'Photos' section. This should stimulate comment at any rate...to my detriment no doubt!

Just noticed I called you 'Ronald' on my initial response, Robert; apologies for the 'typo'.
Do you have anything further to add on those other matters to which I previously alluded?
I'm now open to some degree of ribbing, I imagine, as my School Report extracts are posted!

No ribbing from me, Anthony. The sight of the cover and the report pages was quite sobering. I'm sure many of us attracted similar comments. What struck me was the dreadful handwriting displayed by most of the teachers. Wish I could find some of my old reports to see if they were all as bad.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Sam Riley - Metalwork? Didn't realise that he had talents in that direction.
I, too, am always amazed at the standard of teachers' handwriting. I taught for many years under a particular headteacher, whose handwriting was really bad. Many parents had to ask us (at parents' evenings) what he had written as a final comment on their child's report. I think, though, that his secretary had the most trouble - even she used to ask other staff what was meant by certain meaningless squiggles. He could never understand how anybody could have difficulty reading his writing.
I must see if I can find my old report book - I'm sure my mother saved it - somewhere!

You're correct Allan, it wasn't Sam Riley for Metalwork - on reflection I believe it was 'Fearnside'? Didn't Sam Riley teach Chemistry/Physics?

Is suppose what is surprising about Anthony G. Smith's report is the almost jocular and flippant nature of the Rev A.E. Watthey's comments. 'Good lad' and 'Some good stuff there' almost feel as if Joe Watthey could have written them whilst under the influence of brown ale. But, I could be wrong. Thanks to Anthony once more for his brilliant uncovering of KBGS archival history.

Yes, Anthony, Sam did teach Physics, in fact he got me a decent (B) A level. I'm saying he got it for me, because self-motivation was not one of my qualities at that time. As with most kids, easy subjects came easily, but tricky subjects were put on the back burner - did it really take me 3 goes to get O level English Language?? Can't say I've improved much in that direction - the Barnsley accent doesn't help.
Sam's trances were something else, though, we used to stay very quiet when he was in one, for fear of wakening him up, and getting on with the lesson!!

Sam Riley trances, very funny. Did he not marry the new deputy head mistress in 1965, who was no spring chicken herself?

Current location (optional) Bingley