KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keighley in films and TV.

The obvious one is " The Railway Children". Any othe sightings? I'm sure I spotted the sloping walkway to the platform at Keighley railway station in a TV episode ( not sure which) this year. "Born and Bred" perhaps.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Re: Keighley in films and TV.

'The Railway Children' was in fact filmed twice I think. Once for a TV serial and once for the feature film. One had Bernard Cribbins as the porter, and the other Gordon Gostelow. The film version was made soon after I left school (Dec 1964), so I reckon it was filmed early 1965. Some lads from the year below me, and maybe the next year down were conscripted to take part in the 'paper chase'. One I think was Geoff Pickles and another Graham Hey.
There was one day filming when ' t'sun were crackin' t'flags', and they needed rain so Keighley Fire Brigade attended, shooting their hoses heavenward. Much of it was shot at Oakworth station.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes it was filmed twice, second time as a TV drama. Jenny Agutter (sp) appeared in both, second time as the mother. What of that old depressive " Wuthering Heights" ? I wonder if any were fimed in the area. Doubt it somehow. Juliette Binoche had her work cut out, "Eetcleef".

What about 'Room at the Top' and 'Yanks'?

I remember going to the slums that used to be just above Parkwood Street one Friday evening in about 1957 to watch some of the filming. Whilst they were in the process of being demolished new windows had been fitted.

Then in the 70's, before the Midland Railway Goods Shed was demolished to allow the construction of Sainsbury's, 'Yanks' was filmed there as well as on the GNR section of Keughley railway station.

There must be many more. Will have to think of them

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Slums? in Keighley? Good grief. Parkwood street? Could you place this area for me Dave? " Room at the Top" filmed there? Who was the actor in "Room at the Top"? Not Albert Finney...er...he was also in "The Alamo", believe it or not. Richard Gere and "Yanks" at the railway station! Surprises here.

Lawrence Harvey!!

Got home from university one holiday sporting regulation hair, sideburns and Zapata moustache and was told by someone I'd missed the chance of being an extra in a scene from Dr Zhivago that had been filmed at Ingrow West railway station - the nearest thing available to a period Russian railway station. so I was told. Does anyone know if this alleged filming took place, or was it a wind-up?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I think the filming for "Room at the Top" was done up Park Lane on the way upto Woodhouse, just as they were pulling down the old terraced properties overlooking Worth Valley. In one interior shot, there could be seen an old fireside range, bearing the name "Laycock Fireplaces, Keighley". Brought tears to my eyes as I watched the film in West Middlesex.
"Billy Liar" was filmed in Bradford at the time of the desecration of the old city centre by the "developers". In one scene, there was a poster advertising Keighley Gala. A wonderful thing is nostalgia, but it's not what it used to be.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Heck. I was born in Crag Street, Woodhouse. Old tin bath and the outside loo up the street, shared with a neighbour I believe. Down the road were the prefabs!

I'm getting confused now. Was Parkwood St in Woodhouse? Was I born in the slums? I don't think so, though been slummin it ever since.

No, don't think so Alan.

The scenes were shot above Parkwood Street, on the left going up Park Lane on the site currently occupied by Foster's furniture showroom and the 'Parkwood Flats'.

Background Trivia:- Quite a bit of the filming for 'Room At The Top' was done in Bingley. The author, John Braine, used to live next door to us in Priestthorpe Road (No.13) and beofre becoming a recognised author he used to work in Bingley Library for a time. After the 'final shoot' there was a reception at his home for the principal stars including Laurence Harvey, Simone Signoret, Heather Sears and Honor Blackman. My mum managed to obtain their autographs for me which I still possess.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Some of the filming for "Room at The Top" was also done around Halifax and Bradford (Wedding and Town Hall scenes, etc).
On this theme, does anyone know where any of the outdoor filming was done for "A Kind Of Loving" (starring Alan Bates) - probably my favourite contemporary novel.

Nice story Anthony. Of course it's not the sort of thing you'd get rid of. Simone Signoret. Impressive and nostalgic. Did I ever tell the story of when Lawrence Olivier and Vivien Leigh had a cuppa with us in Crag Street during the filming of "Wuthering Heights"? I wonder where THAT was filmed..in the studio probably with a wind-machine.

Local geography seems to be an issue here. I was a pupil at Parkwood Juniors (50-52) and there were nowt much above Parkwood Street except Park Wood. There were a few streets running at right angles towards the wood = like Napier Street where the infamous Billy "@#%* lived. Park Lane (if ever a road was mis-named it was this) ran up to Woodhouse if you turned left at the Globe Inn pub- on my last visit a welcoming Timmy Taylor's hostelry. My understanding is it was some of the streets off Park Lane that were used for filming in "Room at the Top". Nobody has referred yet to the Bankfield Hotel which was the home of Susan, Joe's bit of stuff.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Things are becoming clearer now. So Park Lane was a rather winding road which crossed the railway bridge. This I recall being the bus route we took to Woodhouse. The Bankfield? Is this the Bankfield on Bradford Rd where some of us briefly attended trad jazz nights, on a Sunday? Or am I confusing the Bankfield with the hotel opposite the gala field?

Even clearer now. The bus went up from the Vic Pub and turned left at the wollen mill ( where I did a holiday job I'd forgotten about) and crossed the river and/or railway, passing the fire station (?) then up the hill, turning left, following the road along the bottom of Woodhouse. Not turning left went to Long Lee. Consulting the OS map there was/is a Mount Pleasant ! The flats mentioned earlier I do recall. Horrible place. Cut the grass round there while working for the council. The plot just gets thicker.

Wasn't the woollen mill mentioned the bizarrely named Emu Mills. If so, I worked there once or twicw too.

Re Wuthering Heights--My late mother,a Haworth lass,used to talk about watching the filming of that at the Old Hall on Sun Street.The one I can remember,about 50-51 was Sandra Dorne in "A Girl,a Boy and a Bike".(it might have been a boy etc)It was a big deal in those days to go to the pictures and recognising local scenes.I remember a shot where she and others ride their bikes from Ingrow ,through Keighley and finished up at Bolton Abbey.It must have been a low budget film as it wasn't around too long. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Just checked an old ‘Borough of Keighley, Yorks - Official Street Plan (Seventh Edition)’ which shows that the streets in question (on the left going up Park Lane) were: Brick Street and Barn Street, followed by a crescent named ‘Broom Street’.

I should have said turning right along to Woodhouse, not left. Yes, it was Emu Mills. Certainly sounds familiar. I'd have thought Bolton Abbey has been a location many a time.

To add to Bill Walsh, Sandra Dorne was born in Keighley in June 1925. She eventually made it to Hollywood where she was known as The British Bombshell.
She made around 7 Hollywood films, including 'The Beggars Opera' The Devil Doll' and All Coppers Are'
She was married to actor Patrick Holt and died in 1992.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Chums, we all know Yanks, Room at the Top, Life at The Top etc was filmed in Keighley and Bingley. But here is one for you historians, did not Monty Python film a few scenes in Keighley and Ilkley during their early series? Also, Sir Anthony Hopkins made a courtroom drama at the old Bingley College. And that delicious Nanette Newman filmed a pot boiler at East Morton in the eighties?

Don't think Sandra Dorne was in A Boy, A Girl and a Bike, although her husband Patrick Holt was. The well knockered lass in a support role was Diana Dors. According to the NY Times Sandra Dorne made 41 films.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Melbourne

I'm not one to gossip, but rumour has it that Sandra Dorne and Prince Phillip had a bit of a fling in the 50's.

I thought that Prince Philip in his early days had more crumpet than the rest of the Royal Household put together, according to TV documentaries. So why not Sandra. Anyway, you are one to gossip IW.

I'm a bit concerned about this Sandra Dorne ( and THAT was her stage name?). Is she just a figment of the imagination? And Prince Philip dallying with her? Did the deed take place at the tea shop at Bolton Abbey? I've looked in my ultra thick listing of films and this boy,bike,and whatsit doesn't exist. I keep thinking of Lorna Doone with the breasts of Jayne Mansfield.

Still on the Isle of Man, Mr Cox? I am arriving there for a long weekend on Friday morning. Watch out Ramsey. Has the ale improved since last year?

Re Monty Python. They filmed at the Cow and Calf (rocks, not disco) during the first series. An episode of Ripping Yarns (the football one) was filmed in Keighley (Bronte St), Bradley, Kildwick Hall, Saltaire and K&WVLR. Palin's "A Private Function" filmed in Ilkley. Finally, "Up for the Cup", starring Ilkley-born music hall comic Albert Modley, was shot in the cinematographic heaven that is Silsden.

I stand corrected Paul---- Diana Dors it was--- there was a real resemblance I think between the two of them.Thanks for that. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Didn't the Emu Mills have a ball of wool with two knitting needles stuck into it to make a stylised emu?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

re: Monty Python at Ilkley. The bit I remember was the hearse race which took place on the road from the Cow and Calf towards the Hermit.

Talking of the Cow and Calf....... has the subject of the disco been covered?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67

I got thumped there once.

I remember an incident at the Cow & Calf Hotel - must have been about '65. I was there with my mate and his girlfriend and some bloke on the other side of the bar was eyeing her off so I took it on myself to eyeball him back as if to say - 'shove off son, she's taken'. As it turned out, the Australian Rugby League team were staying at that posh hotel in Ilkley and he was one of the players. After being advised of this fact I let him stare at whoever he wanted.

tp

Yes IW, you were caught in the crossfire. The punch was intended for somebody else. And your chin got in the way. Anyway, Like lennox Lewis you recovered immediately, and was ready to give the assailant a touch of the Silsden 'wallop'. Those were the days --a few pints and a punch on the chin and no hard feelings. That disco lighting was all the rage at the time. Anybody remember the Elmer disco at Shipley?

Just been to see a film called Jealous God. Some of it was filmed at Keighley Railway Station and bits at other places on the Worth Valley Line - memories!

... and on the Cow and Calf [rock formation that is, not pub].

Sir Tom Moore rightly celebrated

The Mail on Sunday had a picture today of a substantial memorial to Captain Sir Tom Moore with a picture in the centre of Keighley. A KBGS old boy rightly celebrated for his heroic deeds on behalf of the NHS and our great nation. Better a memorial going up than one being knocked down by stupid activists.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68