KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where are they now?

With talk of reunions in the air, I am prompted to put about an idea I had previously - that, if Chris can devise a safe format, it should be possible for posters to ask for information on the whereabouts of old school mates and hopefully make contact with them. The idea needs refinement - hardly one of my skills.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Where are they now?

Good idea Terry.

The bulk of the info is already there in the 'Guestbook', but the unfortunate thing is that (and no criticism of Chris is intended as he gives his time freely to maintain the site) there isn't a 'search' facility included. Additionally, some old boys who have posted their details in the 'Guestbook'have omitted the critical information.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Anyone know anything of Michael Hopwood? In the summer of our final year we hitch-hiked through Europe; then we went our separate ways, Michael going to Cambridge Uni. As often the case, we never kept contact. A good friend at school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Just looking at our 4X form pic with Wilbur, there are 13 (Inc myself!) I have had news of (Messenger, Camm, Craven, Battarbee,Hall,Wearmouth,Hawkins,Jones,Tennant, BRM, Goodall,Shuttleworth and Bracewell) Six of these have posted here, though I think Tennant and Shuttleworth only once.
The ones I know nothing about are:- Foulger,Lowcock,Whitley,Holmes, Bennison,Walton,Bailey, Pearson, Darlington, Labrum, Pike, Sharp, Sharpe, and Stead.
(John Whitleys brother still runs the family Jewellers shop I believe)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Foulger and Sharpe were particular mates of mine and I'd love to know what's become of them. Can anyone help?
Dave Foulger ("Da-Da" as he was widely known)left KGS quite early in the 6th form - for family, rather than academic reasons I believe - and took a job in one of the local council offices close to the bus station. (Borough Treasury or Surveyor's Office comes to mind). I met him a few lunchtimes shortly afterwards but lost contact, probably as a result of the move to Oakbank.
Mike Sharpe (Zeek) left Oakbank at the same time as myself, going to Newcastle to read engineering (as did Rick Walton I believe). We exchanged a few letters and I went to meet them both at Farnhill one one holiday during our first year at Uni.(65/6) but have had no contact since.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

I believe Michael Sharpe was a keen soccer player. I know Dave Foulger was. Both good lads. There was a small core of soccer fans. I became one, probably when I realised I wasn't fast enough, big enough, or tough enough for the tussle of the rugger game. I also found it hard following in the footsteps of my brother, who played for 1st XV and then the Keighlians : I think my rebellious streak was something to do with feeling I had to follow expectations. I think Dave Foulger played for Silsden? One of the top local sides.

Dave Labrum lives in Drysdale, not all that far from Geelong here in Oz. My parents know him better than I do through mutual friends and in fact he was a guest at their 50th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. I didn't get the chance to have a long conversation with him but I certainly would not have recognised him had I not been introduced. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and get him to contribute to the site.

tp

Ooops! For those who might have done some quick mental arithmetic, it was my parent's 60th anniversary, not their 50th!

tp

I have found email addresses for Pete Messenger (agricultural consultant living south of Wrexham) and Rev Brian Goodall (Baptist Minister in Huddersfield).
Its three years since I had an exchange with them, but I'll try a message and refer them to this site.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

I'd certainly be keen on any news of David Labram (correct spelling), Trevor. He and I sat next to each other right the way through school, having been alphabetically adjacent in the first form register that Brian Moate can still recite in his sleep! Sometime in my twenties I heard that he's been head-injured in a car crash whilst at teacher training college in Bingley. I always wondered what happened thereafter (or indeed if that had been true). I've been to visit Pete Messenger a couple of times at his place near Wrexham over the past two years. Pete took early retirement from Ag'n'Fish some years ago and works as a freelance agricultural consultant. Dave Haig retired from having been a a schools inspector, now lives in a wonderful Elizabethan pile, travels and does occasional tribunals up and down the country. I had a lengthy email exchange with John Bailey a couple of years ago. Likewise, he had retired from teaching/ management and was living not far from his hometown of Cowling (maybe even in Cowling itself-perhaps Wiz knows). We planned to meet up at a Colne Blues Festival a couple of years ago, and we nearly did....but when he knocked on the door of my campervan I was away having a curry and we never saw each other... Tried emailing him again last year but got no reply.

I rememmber John Bailey. A few seem to have gone into teaching.David Labram, the one of the quiff? Both good lads. Peter Manning anyone? His father was deputy head at Hartington Middle School. In sixth form I went camping in Germany, near cologne and south a bit on the Rhine. I went with 3 others. Don't know who!!!Also went to Douglas, Isle of Man with John Haygarth..and?????? Also earlier a rainy camping few days in the Lake District. It might have started as a week but curtailed to one night perhaps because of the rain. I kid you not, we were SAS material.

Ah, yes! I'd forgotten Dave Labram's magnificent quiff. Many tried but he was one of the few who succeeded.
There were two options. You could use Brylcreme (usually snaffled when your dad wasn't looking) or spit. Brylcreme was best but was risky or cost money. Spit was free but useless. The worst scenario was when you had snaffled some Brylcreme but not enough to be effective. During the day the quiff needed to be reformed and so you abentmindedly did it with spit and it tasted foul.
Young Labram's quiff was never out of place. I suspect he was born with it and still sports it in Oz. Can anyone confirm?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds