KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Don Mosey (old boy)

I remember Don Mosey well. Besides his excellent cricket commentary, he also came as the guest speaker at one of our 'Speech days', I think probably 1962 when I got my GCE certificate. It was the best and most entertaining speeches at any of the school 'Speech Days' I attended

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) brianmoate@hotmail.com

Current location (optional) www.whitesea.co.uk

Is he dead or alive? Difficult to tell from that biography on the BBC. I don't know about his delivery at the speech day Brian refers to, but on the 'Take a Sporting Chance' radio show (1967)-- when KBGS defeated the commentators -- Don made an excellent question master and chairman. His 'Cock of the North' attribution probably refers to his sexual prowress. Producers/commentators having their wicked way with nubile secretaries/assistants has always been the norm at the BBC and other TV establishments. His son Ian was rather a good golfer if my memory serves me well.

Died 1999.

Thanks IW. If you can pick up that green and white blazer from Oxfam when Brian Craven drops it in there. I will pay you later. Cheers.

Don Mosey turned out for the Old Boys against the school on Founders Day in July 1959 (on the day before the Foragers went to Camp at Kirky). His brother, Stuart Mosey, was captain of the Old Boys and he invited "Big Brother" to play. I remember his being mustachioed and bowling medium paced stuff off a long run to our earlier batsmen who did not seem troubled. Frankie told the team who he was and that he was a journalist for the "Mail". Many years later I connected him with the Don Mosey who appeared as a member of the BBC commentary team. Imagine my surprise when I saw his autobiography for sale in an Essex bookshop - containing a photograph of the 22 players in the match above - with Frank Wellock and I believe Bill Midge as umpires. Of course, as I was on the school team and therefore included in the photo, I bought a copy (knocked down to five quid)- I've heard of "vanity publishing" - I plead guilty to "vanity purchasing". The book is a good read and makes many references to his early life in Exley Head and at KBGS. Buy one!!

Don Mosey turned out for the Old Boys against the school on Founders Day in July 1959 (on the day before the Foragers went to Camp at Kirky). His brother, Stuart Mosey, was captain of the Old Boys and he invited "Big Brother" to play. I remember his being mustachioed and bowling medium paced stuff off a long run to our earlier batsmen who did not seem troubled. Gilbert told us who he was and that he was a journalist for the "Mail". Many years later I connected him with the Don Mosey who appeared as a member of the BBC commentary team. Imagine my surprise when I saw his autobiography for sale in an Essex bookshop - containing a photograph of the 22 players in the match above - with Frank Wellock and I believe Bill Midge as umpires. Of course, as I was on the school team and therefore included in the photo, I bought a copy (knocked down to five quid)- I've heard of "vanity publishing" - I plead guilty to "vanity purchasing". The book is a good read and makes many references to his early life in Exley Head and at KBGS. Buy one!!

Sorree!!

Well Terry, I don't suppose you can get too much of a good thing including posting the same message twice! Would that book with references to KBGS be 'The Best Job in the World' by Don Mosey. I would like to see a photo of that miserable dwarf Frank Wellock. I also played for the school first team at Cricket but by that time old boy matches had been abandoned, sadly.

Sorry, Craig, but the book is packed away in anticipation of my flitting soon. I believe the book is called "The Alderman" which I understand to be the nick-name which Brian Johnston (God rest his soul) gave Don. I shall dig it out when I get moved and scan a copy for the site - unless someone else does it first! Frankie gave me a tough time too. He was so critical of a couple of mistakes I made in the field in my first season that I dreaded the ball coming my way. When I made one very difficult catch in the gulley, he later told the dressing room that "the ball went to the worst fielder in the team and he just happened to catch it." The following season (1960),he asked me to captain the 1st XI. I should have been honoured and snatched it with both hands - but he had so demolished my confidence in the previous season that selection, field placing, bowling changes may have been so critically dissected that I settled for making the best fist I could of my own game. A great opportunity missed.

Mosey, cricket and Wellock!

Hi Terry, thanks for that. Yeah, it would be great if you could scan that picture in with the 'Alderman' Don Mosey in and Wellock. My experience with Wellock was about the same. He booted me out of the under 14 rugby team for some petty reason. However, he found it more difficult with my cricket prowress, as I also played occasionally for a Bradford League team at the tender age of 16. He accepted my bowling was fairly hot but decided my batting was not up to scratch. Against Woodhouse Grove once, away from home, I went in at number nine or something ridiculous and hit a couple of fours before been bowled. I heard him telling the captain it was my fault we lost the match. Going in at number nine! A highly negative and unpleasant bloke, no doubt about that. A certain Bill Day was a better cricket coach and convenor.

This is the PGA's biography of Don Mosey's son Ian:

'The son of acclaimed cricket writer, Don, Mosey turned 50 in September, 2001, and has subsequently produced a series of fine performances, most notably the following year when he finished tied second behind Delroy Cambridge at the Microlease Jersey Seniors Masters. During 2003 he spent a great deal of time working on swing changes but that did not stop him finishing tied fourth at the De Vere PGA Seniors Championship and the Bovis Lend Lease European Senior Masters. Claimed one title on The European Tour, at the 1984 Monte Carlo Open, and he also claimed one Satellite Tour title. That came at the 1980 Merseyside Open where he birdied four out of the last six holes to tie Tony Jacklin before defeating the former Open and US Open Champion in a play-off. He continues to have a remarkable record in extra time. When he defeated Jim Rhodes at the 24th hole of their first round match at last year's Daily Telegraph Turismo/Andaluz Seniors Match Play Championship it was the 17th successive time he had prevailed in sudden death. He lives in Warborough.'

Re: Mosey, cricket and Wellock!

I've found the photo of the Old Boys' XI that Don Mosey played in. Chris has installed it on the site.