KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Saltaire Annual Arts Festival

Whoever was responsible for developing Salts Mill and the Hockney Gallery, plus making the area round the bridge look good, did great things for Saltaire. Not surprised that it became a trendy little enclave. Sad that the restrictions of the past twelve months have meant that I have had to abandon my visits. I guess that it's been the same for you, Doug.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Saltaire Annual Arts Festival

Victorian mill owner and philanthropist Sir Titus Salt started it and then creative Jewish clothing entrepreneur Jonathan Silver nudged it along in the Eighties. With support from his Bradford Art College mate David Hockney.

I guess the bar owners and coffee shops could see the cultural drift. The Sunday Times said recently it was in the top 10 best places to live in UK. Disc jockey John Peel used to extol its attractions on Radio One too before he died a few years ago. His much younger wife was originally from Saltaire and she returned frequently to visit her parents. Nice to visit but not to live there surely.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Settle