KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Theft, armed robbery, violent attacks

Oh dear, I hadn't realised we were still at school. Must be 60 years or so since I heard any name-calling. Got rid of my blazer in the 60s.
I suspect what is meant is "Where's the data?" (Statistics being the mathematical analysis of data). The data is in the files of the Yorkshire Post. You could look it up. Around 2010, I think it was.
Oh, by the way, where's the data to support the assertion that certain ethnic groups perpetrate a great proportion of the bank fraud. The assertion mat be valid but, hey, point me to the date. I can do the "stats".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Home office crime stats for 2020 reveal Cleveland is most dangerous region followed by West Yorkshire. Oh well no surprise there. But the good news is North Yorkshire is the safest region in UK. Which of course includes Harrogate. Rather than far away Cornwall, Devon and Somerset -- or some southerly location. Too much cider drinking down there I suspect.

I don't suppose the safety aspect of lovely Harrogate would have pleased murder expert and crime writer Agatha Christie. She hid in a hotel in Harrogate for a while in the thirties to escape an unhappy marriage. And to write another book The national newspapers unleashed an army of reporters to find her. To no avail.

Subsequently she suddenly revealed herself and her sojourn was over in tranquil Harrogate -- and she was returning to her home in Dorset and her feckless husband. It was all over the front pages back in the day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Steeton

Glad to see that the name-calling has been dropped, Phil.
I don't question your report data from 2020. I was referring to some time around 2010 and, specifically, Harrogate rather than North Yorkshire as a whole. You're perfectly entitled to think that I got it wrong when I looked at the published reports in the YP 10 years ago or so. I could check back but it would take ages. Feel free to think that I made it up - but I didn't.
I have been thinking about looking for the data related to bank fraud that you referred to. It is complicated by the need to know not just the ethnicities of those committing these frauds, but also the proportion of ethnicities of bank employees who would be in positions where they could do this. I can't see any way of getting that data. The old statistician in me would like to be able to either corroborate or counter your theory with analysis, but I can't see a way of approaching the problem.
In the meantime I think we'll have to go on how we each "feel" about the situation. Not a scientific way deal with approaches to criminal justice however.

Seems to have worked ok for Trump, Shaun...

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Perhaps it would have helped, Shaun, if you'd said that your data was 10/11 years out of date.😉

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I did, Alec. Initially I said a few years ago. Later, when I tried to recall the details, I worked out that it was around 10 years ago. That doesn't make it out of date. It is simply a snapshot at a specific time, just like the result of the last general election or when Leeds United won the First Division.

😉

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55/60

Current location (optional) Harrogate