KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Park Road memories

Yes,Simon,agree entirely on the cultural and historic downfall of my 'beloved's Bingley. I was around to witness the Bradford MDC sprawl and the same happened to Keighley but for other reasons. My wife went to Bingley College and Mum was a resident when it was Lady Park Nursing Home.
Knew the Bailey lads,Peter Davidson of course and there was a Peter Beaumont I used to knock around with and Paul Smith...neither went to KBGS.
I can solve the Bodmus (sic) nickname. It would have been BODMAS(on) as that's the acronym for the mathematical progression: BracktsOfDivisionMutiplicationAdditionSubtraction.
On the Mornington Road front, I just remember an elderly- to me- teacher called Mrs Scott who was a stickler for the timestables.One of the more pleasant staff,for English/Drama was Christine Culbert. The head before Baker was the inimitable Mr Parkinson.
Whilst writing I've had a new girl come into mind from Tincan towers who lived on Priestthorpe Lane...Barbara Rushton...went 'out' with her a few times....usually Prince of Wales Park! That's all for now. Best wishes.Anthony (aka AG)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-80 (inc Oakbank)

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: Park Road memories

Anthony: The comings and going's at Prince of Wales Park in Bingley during the height of the long hot summers in the town during the late sixties were a joy to behold. I would sometimes sit there on a bench reading my KBGS A level books and watch the numerous courting couples go past. Somewhat enviously.

There were nice secluded benches in the higher park and down among the lower trees and footpaths a couple of hidden wooden retreats shaped liked igloos. Anyway they were good for increasing intimacy.

The thing about Prince of Wales Park near Eldwick was that it was very different to Myrtle Park in the town. Which was more attractive to Bingley Secondary Modern School pupils. Somewhere best left to them.

At the same time what was going on at the Bingley College of Education next door to Prince of Wales Park. In that nearby location many hundreds of female student teachers had their own rooms and did not need the Prince of Wales Park to entertain visitors....

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Ilkley