KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Terry Marston

Very sad to hear of the recent death of Terry Marston. See Family Notices.
Terry was a couple of years older than me, so I didn't know him well at KBGS (we played rugby for the school together). But Doug Thompson reintroduced us about ten years ago when we met up the day before the first Reunion I went to. We spent some time in the Public Library looking at the school archives and then had lunch at the Lord Rodney. From then on we made a habit of meeting for lunch on the Thursday before the Reunion as he always drove over from Lincoln a day ahead in order to settle in to a hotel within walking distance of the Club. Though I hadn't seen him for 50 years before that first meeting, I had been aware of him through his always witty comments on this website. He was just as funny to talk to in person. He'll be sorely missed and not forgotten.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Re: Terry Marston

I knew Terry Marston for over seventy years. We were always at the same school - Eastwood, Parkwood, then KBGS, he a year younger than me. It was Terry who introduced me to the KBGS biennial (then) Reunions in 2007, and in the middle noughties, having reconnected after almost four decades apart, we had a frequent correspondence, mainly about old times, mutual friends, and memories of Keighley. In those years, we met up on several occasions to enjoy a lunch and reminiscences together, when I still had a base near Hull, and was only 40 or so miles away from him in Lincoln. Terry was, of course, a frequent contributor to threads on this website, with his quirky sense of humour and - though he always denied it - his brilliant recall of people, events and places. I personally very much regret his passing, not least because he has taken a slice of my own life with him, but most of all because he was such a good, decent bloke himself. RIP old mate.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58 (pasted in from 'Family Matters')

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Yes, I remember Terry from school days although he was a few years ahead of me. He was an enthusiastic contributor to this site and will be missed. Condolences to his family.

Official announcement of Terrys passing is in todays Keighley News...https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/announcements/death_notices/

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Denis Pickles, Trevor Hargreaves and I met up at Terry's very well-attended funeral (despite the ghoulish weather), in South Hykeham, near Lincoln, yesterday morning. But we were not the only 'representatives' of his Keighley past there. In the late fifties and early sixties he had been the drummer for a group known as the Hillsiders (based in Riddlesden), and the three remaining members of the group had come with their wives, two of them (including Trevor), Old Boys of KBGS, David Scott being the other. Terry's late wife, Margaret (Nunweek) had been the pianist, and I think it was that musical association that brought them together. It was very clear, from the testimonies at the funeral, how well thought-of Terry was, for his wit, his humour, and his unfailing kindness. His daughter, Helen, told me how much he had lamented not managing to get to the last three KBGS reunions, which, many of us know, he had always enjoyed. Another sad passing.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Perhaps it is not surprising that I seem to be spending more time attending funerals than I used to. After all, I have been around for a good number of years now and it is inevitable that some of my friends and contemporaries should be calling it a day. This last year has seen me say goodbye to five or six, most of whom had had a pretty good innings. And their passing has been an opportunity to reflect on incidents associated with their lives - even at funerals there always seems to be a good excuse to have a smile.

As I have aged, I seem to have been developed a keen interest in what happened during my younger years. I found myself wondering what had happened to the boys I went to school with - how had life treated them, where were they living and what careers had they followed. It was with the hope of getting answers to some of these questions that I started to attend the annual reunion luncheon of the Grammar School where I was a pupil shortly after the war. To be honest, I was disappointed! I made contact with no more than a couple of lads who had been at school at the same time as myself. However, I did make friends with others with whom I had interests in common. One of these was Terry, younger than myself who lived near Lincoln in a village where I had once lived. Terry used to travel regularly between Lincoln and Ipswich. He found that my village was a convenient stopping point on his journey and he came to regard my house as a comfort stop where he would call in en route for a cup of tea and a natter.

Sadly he was one of the friends I lost last year. I made the journey up to Lincoln to attend his funeral and not surprisingly there was only one person there I recognised -, Doug Thompson, who I had got to know after meeting him at the re-union lunch. We sat together at the meal provided for mourners afterwards. Conversation concentrated on Terry’s life and it transpired that Terry’s wife’s maiden name was Nunweek. Not many with that name’, I said, ‘ but strangely enough, I had my eyes on a beautiful blonde Grammar School girl called Christine Nunweek when I was about thirteen. I used to see her each morning from the top deck of the school bus as she waited at the bus stop. I thought that she would be voted Miss Great Britain if she’d been a contestant’. Doug then asked me if I’d ever told the girl what I thought and I replied that I’d never even spoken to her. ‘Come with me‘ he said ‘I’ll introduce you to her’. I was whisked across the room and introduced to a tiny, elderly lady as being a person who admired her as a raving beauty seventy years ago! The lady was Terry’s sister in law. We chatted a while and as I left her, I apologised if knowledge of my teenage phantasies all those years ago had upset her. ‘I thought you might slap my face’. ‘Not a chance of that’, she said. ‘You’ve made my day”.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk