KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ian Dewhirst

I cant be sure if Ian Dewhirst attended KBGS, but I am sorry to report his passing at the age of 82. As Keighley historian , he was a legend, and I am sure many on here will remember him him or have benefitted from his wisdom, often imparted through Keighley News articles or the talks he gave to many local organisations. He will be sadly missed. R.I.P Ian

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Ian Dewhirst

Sad news Brian.
I recall seeing Ian a few years ago. He was giving a lecture in Ilkley one evening. After the lecture I offered him a lift over to Keighley (not a great detour on the way back to Leeds). Ian thanked me but declined saying that, if he went back on the last bus, he would be able to sit quetly and listen to the conversations of others on the bus. On the odd occasion, whilst listening to other travellers, he had picked up information that could be of use to him.
Keighley has lost its great time-traveller.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I think he did more than anybody to keep memories of old Keighley alive.

This is sad news, indeed. I never knew Ian, and as far as I know, never actually met him, but he was an Old Boy of the School, attending roughly 1948 to 1955, being in the same cohort as my old friend Peter McVeigh. He was one of Ken Preston's star pupils and went on to read English (I think) at Manchester University.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Ian was definitely at KBGS as I was in form 1a with him in 1948 and again in the sixth form. On the 1954 long picture we are standing next to each other. Only a week before his death I chatted to him at a meeting of the Bingley History Society where he gave one of his excellent talks. He will be sadly missed.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1948-1954

Current location (optional) Bingley

Just seen the latest photo on the website (Ian Dewhirst and the train). Seeing it made me feel as happy as Ian looked in the photo.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds