KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is The Fleece still the best pub in Haworth

I will be in Haworth in Christmas week. Can anybody confirm the Fleece is still the best pub for real ale in this iconic West Yorkshire village. Or has it got competion in recent times up the cobblestones. Any advice appreciated.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-1969

Current location (optional) Deep South

Re: Is The Fleece still the best pub in Haworth

just browsing the web and came across this KBGS forum.
This item brought back memories. the pub was once run by my 'aunt' Mary and 'uncle' Billy Gallagher. They were friends of my parents since their courting days. They were running the pub at the time when"The Railway Children" was being filmed and a few of the stars of that film stayed at The Fleece. The cast enjoyed their time there so much that Bernard Cribbins inserted a line in the script of something like "See you at the Fleece later" as a kind of thank you for the hospitality. So "The Fleece" must be known worldwide!! They had a son, Robert, who probably went to KBGS, but after I had left the area.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-1957

Current location (optional) Sydney

just browsing the web and came across this KBGS forum.
This item brought back memories. the pub was once run by my 'aunt' Mary and 'uncle' Billy Gallagher. They were friends of my parents since their courting days. They were running the pub at the time that "The Railway Children" was being filmed and a few of the stars of that film stayed at Th Fleece. They enjoyed their time there so much that Bernard Cribbins inserted a line in the script of something like "See you at the Fleece later" as a kind of thank you for the hospitality. So "The Fleece" must be known worldwide!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-1957

Current location (optional) Sydney

I believe Robert is back living in Haworth now.

Yes I am back in Haworth and enjoying retirement. Bruce your mother and mine were, as you say, long time friends and when she was going off to Bingo on a Friday after her meet with my mother for lunch if I happened to be with them I would always tease her and tell her to remember that I was part of her family if she had a big win. Happy days

Current location (optional) Haworth

And is the Fleece still the best pub in Haworth, Robert?