KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Music Master.49 to 54.

Can anyone put a name to the master who taught music at KBGS after Mr. Pickles and before Paul Greenwood. He was there during my time at the school 49 -54 and left to become the choirmaster at Lincoln Cathedral, I think. He does not feature on the panorama photo of 1950. I ask because I am in disagreement with two other former students who cannot even remember him being there but both were at the school during that period.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 49 -54

Current location (optional) Bingley

Re: Music Master.49 to 54.

His name was Philip Marshall, a music graduate of Durham University, affectionately known as 'Tarzan' because of his habit of 'swinging' down from top to bottom of the tiered music room, by placing his hands on the seats on either side of the steep aisle and launching himself down several steps at once! He actually left KBGS at Christmas '51 and Paul took over from him in January '52. As well as music he taught English (he was my first English master). He left to take up the position of organist and choir master at Boston 'stump' but moved to Lincoln Cathedral a couple of years later, as organist and choirmaster. He remained at Lincoln until his death about 1995. I saw him on a couple of occasions on visits to the Cathedral. He was also a keen train-spotter and I still have a postcard of the ngine 'Sir Alexander(was it?) McCosh' he sent me shortly after his departure from KBGS.

Hope this helps resolve your 'contention', Alan.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Keswick, Cumbria

Thank you, I knew that Mr. Marshall was after Mr. Pickles but thought that he had stayed longer than that. I cannot remember being taught by Paul Greenwood but having known him from his connection with Crosshills, I suppose I should have. I can now stick my chest out and say " I TOLD YOU SO". to the other two doubters.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 49 -54

Current location (optional) Bingley

I too remember Philip Marshall taking over from Mr Pickles. He certainly was a different personality but well liked by the lads. His Tarzan efforts went down well with us. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Orewa, New Zealand

As an organist myself I know that Philip Marshall was well regarded as an organist and composer , but I never knew he was at KBGS. I have found an obituary for him from the Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/oct/21/obituaries.readersobituaries

I think his name was Marshall, do not know his first name. I remember he was very tall and played the piano beautifully.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950- 1955

Current location (optional) Taunton

The engine wasn't Sir Nigel Gresley, was it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

I was in the school orchestra and Marshall was a breath of fresh air and quite innovative. For the school concert he composed a version of Old King cole and augmented the orchestra with extras including some boys who were scouts as drummers. It was a lot of fun.Paul Greenwood followed and he was excellent but in a different way.
I believe the railway engine mentioned would be Andrew K McCosh,named after a director of LNER.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1948-54

I only ever encountered Paul Greenwood from 1953 onwards. Unless memory has completely gone. With hindsight. I should have pretended tone deafness allowing reading.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse