KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
By 'eck! It's Yorkshire's Robinson Crusoe

By 'eck! It's Yorkshire's Robinson Crusoe: Brit who bought a cut-price island in the Seychelles 50 years ago... and still lives in blissful solitude with 120 giant tortoises

Read it

Re: By 'eck! It's Yorkshire's Robinson Crusoe

What a nice story. I sent it off to a mate in Dewsbury and he can't believe that he had to hear about it from NZ.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Impressive

....... and here's a video clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17857239

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I met Dewsbury's finest Brendan Grimshaw when I worked in the Seychelles for a couple of years in the mid Eighties. That was 25 years ago and he was mad as a proverbial hatter then. He bought his island for £7,000 in the late sixties after quitting his job in Kenya as a newspaper editor. The island had no trees and he planted thousands to attract birds and other creatures. He lived alone generally with a local chap. It was presumed in Mahé that he was a closet gay but he would never admit to it. The island of Moyenne is now a very small national park. He retained his pronounced Yorkshire accent thoughout his time in the Seychelles. I have to say there was a streak of irrational arrogance and intolerance about him. Master of all he surveyed I guess.