KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A rare book from 1888-89 awarded to a first form student.

I have in my possession a book "The British Hive" which was awarded to James Craig of the first form for Drawing for the school year 1888-89 and is signed by D Barrett, Head Master. Is this of historical interest to your school?
I am also interested to know something about James Craig the student.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Re: student James Craig, first former in 1888

Current location (optional) Sydney Australia

Re: A rare book from 1888-89 awarded to a first form student.

Dear Leonie

Thanks for your message - not that I have any special mandate for answering you, but as no one else has got round to it, here goes. The School effectively ceased to exist in 1964 and if any records going as far back as 1888 still exist, I am unaware of them, or their location. Having said that, the school that succeeded KBGS (Oakbank) does have some of the old School's records, so I'll see if we can throw some light on your ancient pupil from there. I, for one, would love to know how the book came into the possession of someone living in Sydney! Do you have ancestral connections with the town of Keighley?

Best wishes,

Doug Thompson

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Padiham, Lancashire

The present Oakbank school does have an archivist teacher who has posted on this site,

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Yes, she is Rachel Palatelli. Gareth Whittaker has been in touch with her.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Padiham, Lancashire

Is this the book?
THE BRITISH HIVE and its working bees.
Smith, H.C. Miall
Nothing to do with Bees!!!.a descriptive survey of British industry towards the end of the 19th century. includes 'The Harvest of the Sea' , 'Floating Castle Building' [shipbuilding] and 'Light and Leading on the Sea' [lighthouses].
A strange choice for an eleven/twelve year old.
I went to Oakbank a few weeks ago in search of a missing Keighlian. Rachel Pantelli salvaged some old school stuff from destruction in a leaking loft or basement. Much of it’s in a pretty bad state. There were registers of students going back quite far. Sorry I didn’t make a note. There were also some fairly old Log Books. I don’t remember seeing any lists of prizewinners but I might be wrong.
I didn’t get the impression that Rachel wanted to add to the collection of memorabilia, but rather was considering handing it over to Local Studies in Keighley Library or to West Yorkshire Archives.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme

Dear Gareth
Thank you for your reply. The book was left in an apartment that I had leased to someone, along with other books on The History of England and some old classical literature. I could not bear to toss the books out with the rubbish. I have no connection with the school but because the book is in such good condition I thought that it should be part of your school's archival history. A pity that the student, James Craig could not be located.
My email address should anyone want this book is leoniecal@hotmail.com
kind regards
Leonie Callaghan

Dear Doug
I appreciate your reply and have posted further information to Gareth
Cheers
Leonie

In which suburb was the flat? I have lost a lot of books in this way over the years. I think that my last book loss from moving was in North Bondi

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

The book, The British Hive was left in an apartment in Baulkham Hills, NSW. I now have a B&B in Manly, NSW and my current guests are from Yorkshire, and have offered to return the book to the school when they return home in March, 2012. I am very pleased that it will be back in the school where it was awarded to James Craig, in 1889. Marvelous.
Perhaps one day I will visit the school myself, just to complete my relationship with it's history.

Current location (optional) Manly, NSW, Australia.