The World of Myth's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

The World of Myth's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Video game Retrospective

Grue,

I am a huge fan.

That's why it pains me to write this. It is very sad to think that you were pressured into offering up a sub par retrospective just because you are trying to meet a deadline for this site.

You must think of your retrospectives in the same way a cook thinks about food. If its not right or not done correctly....dont serve it. I would much rather you offered up an excuse of why it wasn't done...than to try and stomach the crap you produced this time around. I am sorry if I offended you. I know you can do better. You should have done DUKE 2 better justice.

Thanks for listening.

Re: Video game Retrospective

I have to agree this the last post. The first video was amusing, second one was eh. I think you should rethink the direction of where you REALLY want to go. To me you seem uninspired and at times unintested. I'm sorry that seems harsh, but it's the truth.

TJ

I agree with both above, I feel your work is mediocre at best. But this one was especially terrible. I guess i don't really get your sense of humor because to me it's very apparent your trying to be funny but failing to do so. Don't get me wrong I love video games and am an avid review watcher. This whole retrospective has just let me down. When I saw there were going to be reviews I was so excited but when I watched the first one I was dumbfounded, there it was a guy who isn't funny talking about videos game people haven't cared about for 10 years. Do I hate the Grue? No. I think he has potential and needs to rethink his whole retrospective idea and bring it up to date.

A Grue,

Just finished reading this month's column.

Although I've never played this particular game, I did just try to finish playing a similar type of game that tried to use some of the same tricks that Duke Nukem II did. I spent many hours on the game and still wasn't able to collect all of the items to unlock all of the levels.

I do like my share of explosions and agree with you that a game is much more fun if you can just blast your way through an area and not worry about finding some stupid key!

Thanks for the retrospective. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

A fan,

Jennie

Re: Your opinion

To both the lovers and the haters:

I can say with strong confidence that my work via video columns has always been inspired. I claim not to be either great nor terrible, funny nor stupid, admirable nor despicable. What I create is my work, created under my conditions, for my satisfaction. While pleasing my audience is on my list of priorities, it's not at the top.

When I publish a video column, it is the product of time multiplied by inspiration. It is my humor combined with my knowledge. What results is the best that I can do, and I have no shame in any of it. If you don't like it, then you are free to state your opinions about it. After all, that's what this forum is for. However, you should know that deconstructive criticism will accomplish--identically, in fact--as much as will screaming to the ocean.

In case, dear reader, you are unfamiliar with the term, then I will briefly indulge in what this means. "Deconstructive criticism" (or DC) is a glorified term for what basically amounts to whining. When a person says "I hate that movie, it sucks," they are using DC. When they say "I don't like that painting. It just looks bad," then they are again using DC. Even a statement of "I don't like that painting. There just isn't enough blue in it," is at least less deconstructive than the prior (though still very vague and unhelpful). Other such examples of DC are "you seem uninspired," "this is mediocre," and "this guy isn't funny."

With that said, if you, dear reader, happen to share these opinions, then perhaps this show isn't for you. There are, after all, plenty of other internet celebrities that look at old video games who are far more entertaining than I.

However, for those of you whom have yet to form an opinion of their own, then here are some other points of interest to consider when viewing an episode of my show.

-I have no money. This show has a 0$ budget.
-I do not get paid to make this show.
-I have no prior experience filming videos.
-I have no prior experience editing videos.
-Making videos in the first place is completely optional. I was asked by the editor-in-chief only to make a written column, but decided to take the article one step further using my own time, my own patience, and my own very limited knowledge.
-The end result you see is the culmination of hours and hours and hours of work.
-I am simultaneously attending college (though my course work in no way applies to the show).
-I know only what I learned growing up and what I can find on the internet (or in a library book, if it were to prove a more valuable resource).
-I played these games when I was a child. ("Child" being the key word.) They are re-examined bearing those opinions in mind.

With that said, let us tarry no further and move on to the matter of April's written column. While this column may not have had all the silly gags and parodies and one-liners that a video would have had, it accomplished the clear intention of my column, which is to re-examine an old game from my childhood and expose my opinions about it, both old and new. If reading it was truly such an event for my reader that it could only accurately be described as both tragic and--by golly--downright offensive, then fear not, as I plan on keeping my written columns to a minimum. Catastrophe averted.

On a final note, if an individual were to offer a piece of constructive criticism, I might be more prone to take it under consideration. But regardless, as they say, "the show must go on."

-A Grue

I also wanted to point out how very amused I am that no one complained about my very first article, which was also a written article.

First Dark Myth, thank you for getting rid of those **** ads! Thank you!

Okay, Grue, dude, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, seriously! The World Of Myth's forum has been a place to openly speak your mind. I've been here before dude, really, I have. I've told countless please that I didn't care for their crap. Hell, I remember getting into it with that one Castro, dude. His **** stunk. I mean baaad! He didn't write back whinning like a ***** with a skinned knee, he told me to go blow myself or something like that. I even having a spat with, then, editor an chief Terry Scheerer. I don't remember what it was about, but I remember being ****** off about something. I remember stating what was on my mind, and he nicely wrote back telling me I was an uneducated twit. But you know what? Whatever I was ****** off about in that story, I remember in the story that followed it was different. Though he did not like what I had to say, he took it under consideration and made the change! Because he knows something that you must NOT know dude and that's the FANS are what gives the magazine a purpose to continue. Without us there would be no point in putting this out, because no one would be reading it! That's the way it has always worked around here, and I know I've been a FAN since 2002 when they mainly did comic books, I know dude.
So with that said, I think you should do a video game review for NEW games, I understand you don't get paid and blah, blah, blah, but, if you want to bring in I feel you should do a WRITTEN review on brand NEW games. The video is a nice idea, but like myself people with ****ty dsl it would take 2 hours to load and watch a 2 minute video.
Thank about dude, I'm not a hater or an enemy, just a dude who would like to see change to make your video game review worth reading.

Tj

Re: TJ

Understood. But it's not going to happen.

If you don't want to watch the show, you don't have to. But I like it the way it is, and--believe it or not--I know other people who do as well.

However, assuming just for a few moments that I read your idea and thought it was fantastic, you may have skipped the line in my last post where I wrote "-I have no money. This show has a 0$ budget." An average new game is $60. Therefore, even if I wanted to pursue your idea--and to reiterate, I do not--then it would not be feasible.

If you did not like the tone of my response, then it is suggested that one pursue more positive and constructive forms of criticism in the future, as mentioned in my previous post.

-A Grue

I rent all my game from redbox, they're a buck a day to rent. Check it out @ http://www.redbox.com/

Tj

Amen Tj, Amen.

This is the first time I've posted in this forum. Right off, let me say that I'm a big fan of the magazine and A Grue's VGR column as well. I could scarcely believe there were so many negative comments on it. Despite the destructive criticism, A Grue explained his position quite nicely.

Concerning the more recent comments: While I admit that $1 per day is quite a reasonable price, it adds up to $60 an issue (bi-monthly publication). A Grue specifically mentioned that he has a ZERO dollar budget. The last time I checked, zero was less than sixty.

For crying out loud, take a math refresher course. Might also want to use a spellchecker on your posts before letting the whole world read your rambling. While you're at it, learn how to critique intelligently.

Richard

Entire Thread

Oh, well ... Guess I'm gonna have to.

I've followed this entire thread in the hope that somebody might possibly lead Grue to take a look at his own replies with a more critical eye. Not happened yet.

To TJ and Disappointed, nice try guys. Very well done attempt to offer reasonable criticism with a soft touch and NO -- I'm not being sarcastic. You guys would have fit in very well in the Writer's Forum on Compuserve, back in the dark ages of computing. Both Elise Skidmore and I were members there and both of us learned how to critique writing, guided by well known and easily found FAQs on Compuserve. You may not have read them, but you applied the right methods all on your own. Well done.

However, that leaves Grue.

Grue, I don't know you and what you chose to write about is not something in which I have a great deal of interest. That's not a slam -- difference in taste and interests. However, I can say that your responses on this board to Disappointed (and others) are -- and this solely my opinion, mind you -- sophomoric. What used to happen to someone in the Writer's forum on Compuserve who acted so defensive and snarky was that nobody would read their stuff. By that I mean, we all were posting novels or short stories (and other stuff) and inviting others to read and critique. Three back to back snippy replies more or less finished a person on the forum? Why?

Because any thought and time one put into reading and replying to a posting, was wasted. And let me clue you – when a person has posted ten chapters of a novel they're working on and the number of readers drops to three or four or possibly none--kiss of death.

I suggest you work on growing a thicker skin and go back, and look, really look, at what was written by Disappointed.

Your choice of course. I'm putting my money on you ripping this note to shreds in the same strutting and sophomoric style you used on Unamused and TJ.

Am I right?

Browning>>>

Re: TG Browning

Oh wow. Two months later and you STILL haven't let this go? You're persistent, aren't you? Yet never one to lose a flame war. Very admirable.

TG Browning
I've followed this entire thread...
Wow! The ENTIRE thread? Color me impressed.

TG Browning
I'm putting my money on you ripping this note to shreds in the same strutting and sophomoric style you used on Unamused and TJ.

Am I right?
I like how you end your reply with a bait. Hilarious. "If you say anything back, that means I win!" Quite classy.

TG Browning
However, I can say that your responses on this board to Disappointed (and others) are -- and this solely my opinion, mind you -- sophomoric.
Okay, seriously? Stop pretending like you aren't Disappointed and Unamused. It's really sad how obvious you're being about it while still trying to pretend they're completely separate entities. How many more identities would you like to create to complain? Is three enough? Why? Go for broke, TG.

But enough of that. Let's get to the heart of the issue. You know what I regret most? I regret not being in the Writer's Forum on Compuserve with you and your pals. I mean, it's one thing to be told that I suck and you don't like my work here, but what I'd really like is for whole groups of people to deconstructively criticize me! Think of how much I could not get accomplished! The possibilities are endless!

If this is seriously how you and your friends "critiqued" each other's writing, I don't know how you or anyone else got anything done, let alone made any improvements. But then again, given what I've read of yours, I'd say you probably didn't.

Long story short, if you really didn't think anything would come of your long, inane post, then why'd you write it in the first place? You're bad at this. Go troll somewhere else, guy.

-A Grue

Okay for everyone following this very long thread, I did the courtesy of defining the following words:

Sophomoric - conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature.

Snarky - crotchety, snappish; sarcastic, impertinent or irreverent in tone or manner.

Snippy - sharp or curt and sharp-tongued; impertinent.

Strutting - walking pompously.

Hope these definitions are helpful to everyone reading this.

Jennie
Okay for everyone following this very long thread, I did the courtesy of defining the following words:

Sophomoric - conceited and overconfident of knowledge but poorly informed and immature.

Snarky - crotchety, snappish; sarcastic, impertinent or irreverent in tone or manner.

Snippy - sharp or curt and sharp-tongued; impertinent.

Strutting - walking pompously.

Hope these definitions are helpful to everyone reading this.
Thanks. Maybe TG has a thing for alliteration, I dunno. He is an "author," after all.

Thanks for making my case.

Browning>>>

Lol no problem. Thanks for proving mine.