5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
5 RAR Ribbons

There has been some dicussion over what colour ribbons 5 rar wore in their hat's on first tour. I have photo's of people wearing red and white if anyone knows of other colours and have photo's I would much appreciate a copy.

Russell Briggs

Re: 5 RAR Ribbons

Russell, I looked through the 5 or 6 collections of photos yesterday and could only find red and white. But I believe that we also wore gold at some stage.

Gary

Russell; I still have my bush hat, it sits on the hat rack above all others' it has not been washed since I left the ramp of the HMAS Sydney in 67, it still has most of the ribbon on it and the colour of this appears to have been white.The ribbon is now a slight dirty orange colour due to being stained by the red mud we often both' lived and layed in. I cannot remember when we changed the colour or from what but I seem to remember it was changed about 5 months into the tour, so white was probably the last' colour....I often look at that hat for a minute or so and think to myself life is not that bad realy ...it can' get a lot worse!
Bob C

G'Day Russell, I distinctly recall wearing red and gold , never white.One of the inane things I do remember.
regards, "Crabs"

Hi Peter we definitely wore red and white I have plenty of photo's, I need a photo of us wearing yellow.
Regards Russell

Hi,

I recall wearing the red ribbon in the bush hat until the end of 1966 - photos confirm that.

I think the white ribbon was worn from either the New Year '67, or from very early in 1967 until we left Ap An Phu