5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Australian Defence Medal

Notice on the new 5RAR car sticker that the ribbon for the Australian Defence Medal is included. I checked the criteria for the medal and found it a bit ambiguous.

So some advice please. I served in the Australian Infantry (5RAR of course)for 3 years in the "Regular Army Supplement" including a tour of Vietnam.

I also served two years in the RAAF reserve.

Before going to the process of applying for the medal can anybody tell me if I actually qualify?

Thanks

Alan

Re: Australian Defence Medal

Alan,
I have had a look at the Department of Defence website for honours and awards (see http://www.defence.gov.au/medals) and believe you are probably eligible. I presume the ambiguity you saw was the 4 years service OR your initial enlistment period which would seem to be your 3 years "Regular Army Supplement". It is this initial enlistment period that gets you there.

The following is an extract from the website:

“The Australian Defence Medal recognises Australian Defence Force personnel who have efficiently completed either:
• an initial enlistment period, OR
• four years service,

whichever is the lesser, and all of the relevant service was after 3 September 1945.
Included are former Defence Force members who did not complete the qualifying period because they:
• died in service;
• were medically discharged and the impairment was compensable at the time of discharge; or
• left the service due to a Defence workplace policy of the time. (For example, in the past a woman was required to resign on marriage.)”

Mind you, Alan, your service in the RAAF probably disqualifies you from ANY award of ANY kind- unfortunate choice of service, mate. Just kidding.

Thanks Dave, I'll whip in an application.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Yes you are entitled.It goes off the time of your contract which was for 3 years.So apply now
Jeff