5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inf-Tank coop training 1968

Gents,

My name is Mike Cecil, and I research and write books on Australian military history (see, for example 'Mud and Dust: Australian Army Vehicles and Artillery In Vietnam'published by AWM 2009).

I'm looking for some help in relation to the Infantry-Tank cooperation training that 5RAR conducted in 1968 prior to the second tour. It is my understanding that this was done with tanks crewed by 1/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers.

My questions are:
(1) where did the training take place?
(2) What dates/over what period?
(3) How many tanks were available/took part?
(4) Does anyone recall one of the tanks becoming submurged in a creek or dam? If so, what details can you remember, please?

Thanks gents, all and every reply much appreciated.

Regards

Mike Cecil

Re: Inf-Tank coop training 1968

Mike,
Unfortunately my memory of the detail on this is vague, but it may be mentioned in 5 RAR's 1968 Training Directives. I had a complete copy which I donated to the AWM in Canberra many years ago. The AWM reference for them is PR85/297 and apparently the collection is held at the Mitchell Annex of the AWM. You could access these and search through the index quite easily. Each trg directive usually covered a single topic.
Good hunting.
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info: I'll chase those references down and see what they provide.

Much appreciated.

Mike

I can just remember clinging terrified to the turret of a centurian tank as it careered through the scrub somewhere outside Holesworthy I think.

Jump up and we will give you a ride they said! Bloody Armoured. No respect for the elite infantry men that we were!

Al.