Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WD Matchless G3L frame and engine numbers - what info can I get from them?

Rik, there is a very well known photograph of Churchill on Gibraltar standing very close to a G3L. The C number appears to be C943315 and it has RASC painted on the tank and clearly has a Millar headlight fitted. Does that help or hinder your thoughts? JT

Engine.....Frame.....Tank

John, it seems that I didn't glance properly at the serial number lists in O&M...Small print and I failed to pick up the magnifying glass...There are certainly numbers from the RASC batch of C9***** serials under Cat. Ref 20 (the Miller batch) too.

This is exactly why I first said that it ought to be a Matchless expert who looked at the numbers. I haven't really studied these other than to say "No Way" :grimacing:

Rik, do you have any addition information on these contracts other than what appears in O&M? JT

Here a screenshot of the relevant part of Matchless Key Card database, the number is not in it (only means it was sold off before 1949) but you can see how mixed up it is!

So F is the column Frame numbers, and in the middle, the nearest frame number, then H are the C numbers (on the tank) all the ones starting with 14 are rebuilt bikes, then location and date of sale by the Army.

Then starting at the left are the Key card numbers, postwar Army reg. number, Contract number, and contract number as listed on the Key Card, not always correct.

Also a scan of a Matchless Key Card, own them all, and email me direct if you need information.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb***.net

Thanks Lex, very interesting. JT

Thanks all for replies.

Can anyone help with another frame and engine please.
Frame 76281
Engine 93853

Contract 6150, early 1944.

Can anyone provide any more info on this bike or contract please.

Many thanks
Regards, Nathan

email (option): nljb345@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1