Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch Cork Seal Installation M20

I am hammering along on the 1942 WD M20 and hope to get her running and on the road in the next week or so. I am trying to install the round cork seal that slides over the gearbox shaft where the clutch basket attaches. I have seals from two different sources and both seals seem to be too narrow to slide over the shaft. I tried to swell the seal by soaking it in oil but still tore one when trying to slide it over the shaft.

I thought about trying to soak the seal in warm water to see if it will swell enough to slide over the shaft. Any tricks to getting these seals in place without tearing/ripping them? I have two seals from Draganfly and two from Russels. They are both cork but of different types, but they are too small to slide over the shaft.

Thank you in advance for the help,

Brian

email (option): bbrown3407@charter.net

Re: Clutch Cork Seal Installation M20

Hi Brian..The trick is to put the cork seal into the recess in the back of the clutch sleeve and then fit that over the mainshaft...

Apply a little grease to the inside of the cork before fitting to the shaft...Trying to fit the cork to the shaft usually results in a split cork as you have already deduced.....

Don't worry if it all goes wrong though, I haven't fitted that cork for at least 20 years...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That cork bush of course only works in combination with a felt washer, the felt washer gives the actual seal to keep the oil more or less inside. When the bush is to long the felt washer will wear away quickly.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thank you both for the information. I submerged the cork in very hot water and it expanded and became more pliable. I greased up the gearbox shaft and the clutch basket slid right on. Having different issues now, but I am thankful that I was able to get the clutch back on the bike.

Thanks,

Brian

Did you also fit that felt washer? Without it the cork doesn't have any function.

Henk

Hi Henk,

I have the felt washer in place that is located behind the sliding plate on the inner chain case. Is that the felt washer you are referring to?

Thanks for all the help,

Brian

The cork bush puts pressure on a conical felt washer to work as a oil seal around the gearbox main shaft. The cork bush alone has no function, it's the cork bush in combination with that felt washer.

I must have a drawing on my computer, I'll see that I find it and mail it.

Henk

Grease a must as already suggested, also remove sharp edge on back of clutch housing assembly

email (option): Clive1960@bigpond.com

Nieuwe pagina 1