Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wd flying flea folding kickstart

hi does anyone have a royal enfield flying flea folding kickstart for sale wd model kind regards kev

email (option): jodiekev@btinternet.com

Re: wd flying flea folding kickstart

If it's any help, you can make one from a Honda CG 125 kickstart, but it's quite an involved job. I bought one of Metal Magics ones but the splined bit was brass and as soon as I kicked it over the spline stripped but I thought I'd try to see what splined part would fit, then remembering that it was a metric bike I just went to a Japanese bike breakers. The CG one lent itself as it wasn't chromed as standard and fitted perfectly, the only thing I had to do was fit a reduced head 3/16" bolt with an 8mm thread. The kickstart was heated up and bent to the correct angle. The tube that the arm passes through was just literally that, a thick walled piece of tube that I welded around the top of to recreate the stepped part. The arm is a straightforward fabrication. The brass one shown on the second picture was sligly bent, and should look like the one I fabricated
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

hi thanks for that will give it a go kind regards kev

email (option): jodiekev@btinternet.com

If you want me to, I can send you the brass one to copy. Please email me if you do
Dave

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I picked up a batch of those kick starts for Terry (Metal Magic) on a visit to the foundry in London. He told me that he'd dropped them at his engineers shop for machining and after he collected them, he realised that the foundry had used brass instead of bronze (gun metal). He was then having to get another batch made after wasting his money as the brass ones are obviously not strong enough.
I wonder if the same thing has happened in the past and he's been selling the brass ones by mistake. He actually copied my idea of the bronze ones from when I had an individual casting made from an original that was loaned to me. It seemed strong enough, but I have since fitted an original and the bronze one is still working on someone else Flea.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice bit of improvisation Dave...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes, I did the same thing once, but used the postwar Flea non folding kickstarter as a start (pun intended) Having an original to copy does help!

It takes more then a days work here!! (no milling machine meant a lot of filing!!)

But very good castings can now be bought from Pelders Indian parts, made from aluminiumbronze, and much tougher then normal bronze, the splines are however cast in, so don't know how long that will last? anyone tried one yet?

But it does say in the riders handbook, to "only use the kickstarter in an emergency" and push starting is normal procedure, they must have had a problem with it back then! Horrible things these fleas, but still love them.

Cheers,

Lex

ps, some handbooks still available

email (option): welbike@welbxxx.net

I identified the original for Joss or Joke Pelder (I never remember who is who). He promised to let me have their original after the castings were made. But still haven't got it yet. But then I have since found an original anyway. The one I had cast was made of some sort of high grade leaded bronze I think. The foundry referred to it as 'Gun Metal' Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

(Gun metal)Also known in engineering as 'Naval bronze'...

The two names derive from its use in the past for making cannons...

These days frequently used for machined parts such as gears and cast/machined components such as steam fittings...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1