Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
N1magneto sparking fault

This might be for Ian. Lucas n1 magneto I was gona fit the my matchless. I striped it and cleaned everything, new ht pick up, new points, new earth brush. Now I seem to be getting lots of spark at the points (turn by hand) but nothing or very little at the ht end against the body, if I take out the ht pick up and lightly touch a small screw driver against the brass ring and there seems to be a small spark or if I put my finger in the hole it will shock, Also if rotate the points with my right hand while holding the mag body with my left hand it will shock. I've tryed 3 different new ht wires and nothing, I even put a drill on it to give more rpm, and it won't even work properly even if I throw it across the shed a few times.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks Barry

email (option): Mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Re: N1magneto sparking fault

Sounds as if the condenser has failed, you can see it just behind the slip ring.

Hi Barry,

Stop shocking yourself, man!
Did you take the collector off? (The brass / bakelite ring)

If so, when you put it back in, there is a short wire, which is the end of the coil,
Who needs to be returned carefully into a tiny drill in the bottom of the ring.

You can get those results if it's left out.

Good luck,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Check for carbon on the slip ring, there are a load of carbon brushes out there that are so soft they leave a ring of carbon nearly as soon as you first kick the bike over this causes the spark to try to fire multiple times on each revolution consequently they appear weak.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1