Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An Odd Thing at the MOT test

I took my 1961 M21 for MOT today (passed OK), but there as well was a bit of an oddball. The bike was a 1938 M20 with a 1000cc JAP vee twin fitted. The owner always wanted a JAP engined bike but didn't have the money. The crankcases may be off a stationary engine, but it has the bike type barrels and heads. This looks like it was meant to fit the M20 frame and with a four speed hand change box, large panel tank etc makes a neat tidy bike. I didn't take any photos as the owner was not present. A pleasant change from the aston/barhopper type of special.

Cheers Pat

Re: An Odd Thing at the MOT test

There is a local guy here in Poole who has two Jap V twin M20's. this one is a daylight bike, as he forgot to make provision for a dynamo. the other one has lights. I'm sure his are both stationary engines and not the best restorations I have seen. But he enjoys the challenge and riding them.
 photo Lou005_zps26a99fdd.jpg

My own M20 special has an Indian engine. Ron

photo IndianS256_zps702c9479.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have a friend in Gloucestershire who has put a JAP engine into a rigid Ariel frame...To be honest it's a better fit in that than in the M20 chassis...I also have a friend in France who has everything to do one...I'm hoping perhaps he might sell me that eventually....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It's not either of those Ron. His has the heads with the "Fir Cone" valve covers. The mag points backwards on the timing side, it also has an odd oil pump with no return. The only thing I thought was the fuel tank would get hot! Still it might run on kero.

Cheers Pat

Maybe I'm missing the point, but what was the problem at the MoT ????

There are a number of issues that can throw the odd tester........year of manufacture, lights or no lights (so daytime use only if not fitted/working/masked over)........

And then to the nitty-gritty.......horns, speedos, etc....all dependent on when first made/registered (both equally confusing).......

Plus, a MoT test, although valid for a year in the UK, is only ACTUALLY valid at the time of testing.............

Sorry, I'm a (now) ex-Cop :o) , so can speak from some degree of experience.........(and discretion.....)

Not a problem Steve..an 'oddball'...The bike with the J.A.P engine...

With 'fir cone' valve covers it must have had one piece heads and barrels..That and a 'total loss' oil system (no return) probably makes it a 1920s/early 30s engine...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Steve the odd thing was the other bike, M20 with JAP engine, it was in for fettling, it was on the road, tax MOT lights the lot. Sorry about your Indian Ron, but the other bike had a similar exhaust system, like a Brough with the balance pipe between the silencers.

Cheers Pat

Must admit tho, that the key item in any MoT is the judgement and discretion of the tester....even today........glad ours are now all exempt........even the car...!!!!

Nieuwe pagina 1