WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy 2014....What's Happening

photo nor2_zps76d584ee.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Normandy 2014....What's Happening

Looks ok Rob, we can have a chat about it at the club meeting Thursday, just been watching Prestons DVD on the 1984 tour so I am ready to go

Thursday 5th, ( & Friday 6th, Sunday 7th and yes I know something else is going off those 2 days :) )public open days at Gold Beach, British Camp Ver-sur-Mer.

Hi Rob, looks good, we did a run to Pegasus Bridge and Merville on the 5th last time, although that's not down on the list wondered if its a may be again, I know its difficult to cram it all in

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Ian

The 5th was looking rather busy so that is the run marked in red for the 7th, route and stops are yet to be finalised.

The problem we had at Merville Battery on the 65th was that we turned up with about a hundred bikes when an official commemoration was taking place and the Gendarmes stopped us from getting close.

Every historic site, town, village and cemetery in Normandy has a commemoration at least once during the tour, it would be nice to attend them all and as an individual rider you probably could, but with a large group it will always be more difficult so in order to have a successful trip and actually see these places we have to plan to avoid the ceremonies.

Rob

Hi Rob, ah right, I see now, that's my fault for not looking past the 6th as we catch the ferry back on the 7th but as you say, its a bit different turning up as an individual as opposed to a group of 100 look forward to the US Beach run especially St Mere Elgise, would be nice to show it wasn't just the Americans who landed. See you at Malvern

Its starting to look like the couple of days just after D-Day could be rather good, so hopefully not too many people will be going home too early, originally the tour was advertised as being from the 1st to the 10th but I'm not sure that many of us will still be there that late.

Rob

we are booked to return on the evening of the 7th so will also miss out on anything post d day but plan on making a few trips out with a few bikes during the week so should get to a few sites time permitting ,I know there is 2 new museums I need to see and several sites I have promised to take mates to

Gotta see the big chrome yoke Nigel

:-D

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The only reason I'm going is to see the big chrome yoke!!!!
Daren

all that salty sea air it might be the big rusty yoke by now

That would depend if it's good quality English triple plating!!!!

no it will be French silver foil

Hello Rob, is the date for the British sector fixed?
Are is the program a proposal, personnel I think this run is a bit late in the week.

Guy

email (option): guy66@skynet.be

Hi Guy

Nothing is completely fixed, but you must remember that there are also people who won't be arriving much before the 6th who will miss the American run and other events early in the week.

But we can't put everything on during what could be the busiest 3 days that Normandy has ever seen.

Like I said in my previous post this tour was advertised as running from the 1st to the 10th, if you can't manage the whole tour you will miss something.

Rob

Please don't forget a visit of the roadside chapel at Fresney-le-Puceux, in commemoration of Don Fife! Especially the Nortons should go there...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Hi Hans

"Both Norton's"

But seriously I have every intention to visit the roadside chapel to pay my respects.

Rob

Yes I agree. A small group of us who were involved from the start could go there on one of the in between days. I feel those tiny lanes would not cope well with a very large group Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Looks great, I'd like to get up to SNAFU Special at Merville if I get a chance. Hopefully we'll get a good ride on the beaches to (on motorcycles before anyone says ;-) The 65th early one morning I rode from that hotel at Omaha Beach as far as I wanted to go, was a fab ride, I was the only one there at about 7am, doubt that will be the case in 2014!

BTW the Hippo I used to own is for sale down to about £4k in the UK, she needs a good home as she's not being looked after very well outside. There also one in Europe for sale at the mo on milweb, love to buy the old gal back, but where to store her, they are just so big..

Looking forward to it guys, I'll all booked up and booked in

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

early morning ride out sounds good Kit,just got to stay out of the bar the night before

An update

Due to several important factors the organising committee has decided to change the previously published date of the "Organized bike run along the British sector". Apologies to anyone this effects.

Our calendar now reads:-

Tuesday 3rd Organized bike run to US Beaches
Wednesday 4th Organized bike run along British sector
Friday 6th D-Day, details to follow
Sunday 8th Bayeux parade, official invite to all British, Commonwealth, Polish and Maltese marked motorcycles in our tour.

Schedules for these day will be published shortly.

Rob

I think the three major runs 3rd 4th 6th although hectic should enable everyone to participate, even those on a shorter visit. It will also hopefully avoid some of the massive crowds we would expect next year. The routes to and fro will be mostly on small country roads which are usually fairly quiet. However Guy will be arranging the Pegasus route to include returning along the beach road. Not the quietest or nicest road but a must for the historical sightseeing, especially for those who have never been.

Those who are thinking of joining Kit on a 7am run along the beach should prepare their bikes with carb and exhaust snorkels as it's not low water until after 11am on D day at Arromanches. Which should be just right for our planned arrival on D Day. More to follow on this.

Ron

Sounds great Ron, I was talking to Rob at Malvern and saying how gutted I was that we were going to miss the British Sector ride out on the 7th. The ride back along the coast road I like as well in and out of the small towns and as you say will be nice for those who have'nt done it before.

The Bayeux Parade Sunday 8th June 2014

This is a preliminary notice and subject to change

The Parade is being organized by the Military Vehicle Trust (MVT) and the Invicta Military vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS) who have invited members of our tour to participate.

The parade is scheduled to start at 10.30 and it is estimated it could take a couple of hours for the last vehicle to finish.

Participants will be required to form up at before 9.30 in one of the car parks on the edge of Bayeux, probably a supermarket car park and will finish in at the same or at another car park.

The Parade will wind through the narrow ancient streets at the heart of the city passing by the Cathedral where it may pause for a wreath laying ceremony.

A commentary box will be situated on route and connected to speakers through the city.

The main part of the convoy (around 200 vehicles) will travel at a walking pace, so in the interest of cooling, balance and clutch life the motorcycle section will lead off at a safe pace.

Bayeux was liberated by British troops and it has been decided that only British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Polish, Maltese marked vehicles will be allowed to participate, desert & Malta camouflage is permitted, US manufactured vehicles will be allowed but not if in US markings, No German vehicles, markings or uniforms will be allowed.

Participation will only be possible if you have a pass and I will be issuing these to our group in Normandy prior to the 8th , in order to participate with a motorcycle you will have to let me know before the end of January 2014, I will need the riders name, make, model and markings, this information will be passed to the commentator who will them be able to give some information as we roar past his commentary box. So Email me to get your name on the list. If you are attending Normandy with a motorcycle as part of the MVT or IMPS tour's you will be able to get a pass through your own tour organisers.

Uniform is not compulsory but greens are preferred.

I was lucky enough to take part in the parade on the 50th anniversary and the atmosphere was amazing so this is an opportunity not to be missed.

After our section finishes you will have the chance to walk back and watch the rest of the parade if you choose which should be over by lunch time, we will then have the option of an afternoon run, details and destination to follow.

Rob

Just a reminder that time is running out to get your name down for the Bayeux parade, our list goes off to the organizers at the end of this month, and if you are not on it you won't get a pass.

This is open to any one with an appropriate motorcycle whether you have booked on the tour or not, but you are not automatically on the list by joining the tour.

Rob

Bayeux parade latest

84 bikes booked in

The final deadline is this coming Friday the 21st, so if you haven't contacted me yet do it soon.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

The following is the latest update on the Bayeux parade and should now have been sent to all those who have put their names down with me for this event. But as usual a few Emails have bounced back so spread the word.

There have been some developments concerning our participation as a group of motorcyclists in the Bayeux parade on the 8th of June 2014.

The event was originally to be organised by the MVT (Military Vehicle Trust) and IMPS (Invicta Military vehicle Preservation Society) who were very keen for us to take part, but another individual has now taken a front seat in the organisation of this event.

For us to now take part as a separate group we would have to supply further information which I don't feel happy with collecting, storing and passing on, a demand has also been made for the organisers of our tour to supply this individual with photocopies of our passports which we feel is quite unacceptable.

It may still be possible for you to take part in the parade if you book in through the MVT or IMPS and I hope that some of you will as this parade when organised properly as it was in 1994 should be a highlight of any tour to Normandy.

So if you are a member of the IMPS contact Tim at
tim@charleshewitt.co.uk

Or if you are an MVT member or outside participant contact Preston at
admin.tour2014@mvt.org.uk

with the following information

1. Name
2. Make
3. Model
4. Year
5. Registration number

You will then be added on to their relevant pass.

Rob

Thanks for the update Rob. What IS going off there I wonder?

I don't see why anyone would need photocopies of our Passports to ride in a parade?
Unless the roads are closed to any other traffic, we could still ride the route behind them

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Rob,

So we continentals are basically f***ed if we are not a member of either organisation. Britannia does still rule the waves and the continent for that matter

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Look it does say "MVT members and outside participants" so I guess that would be you Leon.

And since I posted this I have been informed you have until the Sunday the 23rd of this month to make contact.

Rob

Leon KM20.1478
Hi Rob,

So we continentals are basically f***ed if we are not a member of either organisation. Britannia does still rule the waves and the continent for that matter

Absolutely, Leon. Don't forget that 'we' liberated 'you' !

As Rob says, contact Preston at the indicated email address. I did earlier and already have confirmation of being added to their list. I did not quote any MVT membership number (although I have one) just to see if it worked :-) Get typing gents.

Preston phoned my yesterday to confirm that all DR's are welcome as long as they email him first. I'm on the list also.

Ron

I came across this on HMVF today (it was posted yesterday). It is likely it will be of help/relevance to some folk arranging their tours/visits. I don't know where the chap obtained his information from, so cannot verify it. No mention of beach access.

"June 6th ....Morning visit parade with the Dutch Royal Family and Prime Minister ,British Royals in the afternoon .

HMS Bulwark off shore

Access to Ouisterham and the International event is more or less by ticketed invitation and is a VVIP + a few Veterans event and totally inaccessible on 6th June. 19 heads of state at Ouistreham the security is as you can imagine.
All other day's – no problem

Travelling about everywhere else will be difficult due to the level of traffic, rather than places being blocked off or badge access.....

Some roads will be blocked off in and around Arromanches for sensible reasons."

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

Hi guys,

Is there a chance that someone can email me an itinerary?? i have had a good read through the forum and i cant really make out where you will be and when.

I live in New Zealand and i am going to be in Normandy for the D-Day celebrations, unfortunately i wont be bringing my James over but i would love to meet up with you guys to see all your bikes, i will be based in Periers with a group of guys with American Vehicles and im not really sure what their plans are but if i can know where you guys are going to be i can make plans to meet up.

Thanks in advance
Paul

email (option): psilverthorne@hotmail.com

Scooter. It would be impossible to say where we will be at any given time. Your best bet is to visit our camp site during an evening. You will be able to meet us and check out bikes etc.
We are not far from Omaha/Port-En-Bessin, directions will be on their website.
www.camping-normandie-rm.fr

Ron

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2609532/WE-didnt-need-paperwork-time-I-landed-Normandy-D-Day-veteran-stormed-beaches-70-years-ago-struggling-return-commemoration-French-red-tape.html#comments

http://www.le70e-normandie.fr/dedicated-areas/traffic/?lang=en

ahh there is the tide issue Ron, I would have been rubbish at planning the real thing!

..well I'll be riding on the beach at some point anyway, it's a great thing, bit of salt and sand didn't do any harm last time, its not really a trip for me unless there is some sand to wash off;-) (excuses allowed of course if your motorcycle is a lot nicer, pampered condition & finish wise)

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Well I like to think my bikes are pampered! But it still doesn't stop me riding down on the beach Ron

HI guys,

Last time (2010) on the 6th, we all got a piece of plywood to put under the bike stand, to prevent it from sinking in the sand.
Is this taken care of this time also? or do we need to bring our own?

Cheers,

Leon

yes it was me that spent the evening of the 5th cutting up bits of wood for the side stands in arromanche for the visit to the beach and but im not sure if any one can get into arromanche on the 6th this year due to road closures etc

email (option): adriancrossan@tiscali.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1