Go to the NEW FORUM

Critics' lists
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EOY Albums 2011: Eligibility thread

Romain
What we have to look in Alexa Ranking for choose if a site is eligible or not ?
Thank you.

From Henrik: "Good Alexa stats are rank < 1,000,000 and sites linking in > 100."

Eligible: Aftenposten, musicOMH, Magnet, Yers Mag
Ineligible: Stack, Gorilla vs. Bear

The GvB issue was decided last year.

Harold Wexler
Romain
What we have to look in Alexa Ranking for choose if a site is eligible or not ?
Thank you.

From Henrik: "Good Alexa stats are rank < 1,000,000 and sites linking in > 100."

OK, thanks.
Mowno is it OK for you ?
http://www.mowno.com/zoom/playlists-zoom/bilan-2011-en-50-titres/

Alexa ranking : OK
It's a team....so I think it's good.

Eligible: PopMatters, Prefix, Spin, Gigwise, Antiquiet, Treble, Drowned in Sound (when complete)

Ineligible: Vivoscene (sorry, Nicolas!)

Eligible: Billboard, This is Fake DIY

I'd never heard of This is Fake DIY until its list was posted. Its Alexa numbers are amazing. I assume it's eligible - it looks like your basic pop-culture magazine/blog.

Eligible: OneThirtyBPM, Jenasaispop, Resident Advisor, Slant
Ineligible: Urban Outfitters

I -assume- that the Urban Outfitters list is ineligible, since it's a clothing outlet rather than a music/culture site. Henrik, please let me know if you agree - and let me know about This is Fake DIY as well, because I'm still not 100% on that.

Harold Wexler
I -assume- that the Urban Outfitters list is ineligible, since it's a clothing outlet rather than a music/culture site. Henrik, please let me know if you agree - and let me know about This is Fake DIY as well, because I'm still not 100% on that.
I agree on both sources.

And for Mowno ?
Just for know if I put the top album list in addition to the songs list.

Romain
And for Mowno ?
Mowno looks eligible.

Eligible: Pitchfork, Spinner, Playground, MuzikExpress, Les Inrockuptibles, Laut, Indiepoprock

Eligible: Pretty Much Amazing, Tiny Mix Tapes, Consequence of Sound, The Age, Nojesguiden

As Publico is a daily newspaper, I don't know whether their list is eligible. Can someone let me know if this is a single-critic list or a poll?

Harold, the Publico list is the choice of 8 Critics, so I guess it is eligble.

Harold, I haven't checked all the EOY list threads. Is it ok if I only look for eligibility questions in this thread? Really though, I trust your own assessments, so just go ahead and make decisions if you want to.

Henrik
Harold, I haven't checked all the EOY list threads. Is it ok if I only look for eligibility questions in this thread? Really though, I trust your own assessments, so just go ahead and make decisions if you want to.

Yes, I was thinking about this too. From here on out I'll put album-list eligibility questions here.

At some point, given the number of new sources emerging, I'll probably need you to add more columns to the spreadsheet (especially in the UK section). We're not quite there yet, but I'll let you know.

Catching up:

Eligible: No Ripcord (already on spreadsheet, but I thought I'd note it here for completeness's sake), Under the Radar, Muso's Guide, Kerrang!, Muzikalia, Dagsavisen, Humo, The Owl Mag, New Noise, Publico

Ineligible: Boston Globe, Web in Front

Uncertain: GoGoYoko (an Icelandic record store, w/ good Alexa stats), Gorilla vs. Bear

If AllMusic compiles an all-encompassing EOY list, I'll include that. At the moment I'm not inclined to deal with all these separate, unranked genre lists.

The same, to a lesser degree, goes for Rock First. Five bizarrely clumped categories, with 3 top picks and 10 honorable mentions in each one - c'mon, folks, what's wrong with a good old-fashioned top 50? (Having said that, I'm open to being persuaded.)

Eligible: Spex
Ineligible: Blare

Relevant is a culture/pop-culture magazine aimed at progressive Christians. It's not primarily a music magazine. I don't think it's eligible, but I'm not 100% sure.

Too many one-time names to account for? I'm not too sure if they'll do a collated 'list of the best' this year but if they do and no else has posted it I'll be sure to make it known. Otherwise, I may just keep posting the other updates for reference, or even amusement. After all some of the best ones are yet to come, such as the electronic and metal selections...

List of specific genre is not OK for the EOY isnt'it ?
Like this :
Top album techno house :
http://www.chroniqueselectroniques.net/article-top-albums-2011-techno-house-93252187.html

Romain
List of specific genre is not OK for the EOY isnt'it ?
Like this :
Top album techno house :
http://www.chroniqueselectroniques.net/article-top-albums-2011-techno-house-93252187.html

I'm presuming they're going to have EOY lists for each category they cover. Since it's a genre-specific website - with good Alexa stats - I think all their lists would be eligible. Please post all the lists on the forum once they're released.

@ Harold Wexler - I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't have good Alexa results. :p

No problems, with that otherwise. I'll be sure to collate them all at the end of the week then, if no-one else does it first...

@ Romain - Possibly, but AllMusic will go through every major genre eventually rather than just pick a small taster of modern styles. At the end you'll get a wide collection that is much more diverse than many other lists. The problem it leads to is that a much larger list of albums. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them weren't in any other publication's EoY list.

is this site eligible?

http://www.indiehoy.com/especiales/los-50-discos-del-2011/

Harold Wexler

I'm presuming they're going to have EOY lists for each category they cover. Since it's a genre-specific website - with good Alexa stats - I think all their lists would be eligible. Please post all the lists on the forum once they're released.

Thansk to you and Matski.

Tom
is this site eligible?

http://www.indiehoy.com/especiales/los-50-discos-del-2011/

It certainly seems to be. Please post the list in the forum - as a new post, please, not in this thread - and let us know what country the site originates from.

Henrik
Romain
And for Mowno ?
Mowno looks eligible.

Romain, has Mowno published its EOY album list yet?

Eligible: Complex, Bowlegs, Little White Earbuds, CokeMachineGlow, The Agit Reader, Austin Town Hall, Associated Press (I'm assuming that the AP list is a poll, not just Moody's personal list - can anyone clarify?), Word

Waiting for final ruling: G vs. B, GoGoYoko, Relevant

SOrry, not yet.
I only have the 2010's list ;-)

Harold Wexler
Thanks for that summary Harold, I was drowning in all lists. I don't envy your task right now! However, having said that I am silently working with some huge all-time songs lists at the moment.

Gogoyoko and Relevant... I really have trouble to decide about these! Since you probably have enough to do anyway, perhaps you can put them "on hold" for a while, together with GvB...

Henrik
Harold Wexler
Thanks for that summary Harold, I was drowning in all lists. I don't envy your task right now! However, having said that I am silently working with some huge all-time songs lists at the moment.

Gogoyoko and Relevant... I really have trouble to decide about these! Since you probably have enough to do anyway, perhaps you can put them "on hold" for a while, together with GvB...

Thanks, Henrik!

Okay Harold,

Having checked in late to see if AllMusic will publish a compilation list and there doesn't look there will be one. Instead I've added the other lists they posted this week. There weren't that many left anyway and I've excluded both their Compilations and Reissues lists as I'm doubting their suitability. I've linked them both respectively in case you feel differently.

Hope that doesn't give you too much work to cover and that you'll otherwise enjoy your weekend.

Eligible (and already on spreadsheet): State, OOR, Quart

Eligible: Mowno, XLR8R, Scanner FM, The Line of Best Fit, Soundi, Kalporz

Ineligible: I Heart AU, The Music Fix, all the one-critic newspaper lists

Uncertain but probably eligible: The L Magazine is a general-interest Brooklyn culture mag, but this -is- a multi-critic list, so I'd imagine it's eligible. Henrik?

Harold Wexler

The same, to a lesser degree, goes for Rock First. Five bizarrely clumped categories, with 3 top picks and 10 honorable mentions in each one - c'mon, folks, what's wrong with a good old-fashioned top 50? (Having said that, I'm open to being persuaded.)

Actually I have an idea: what if everyone of the top picks from each genre were weighted equally as #1 and the honorable mentions as #2, all of them? This is just my suggestion which could be, of course, terribly miscalculated or bizzare since I am really inexeprienced regarding this Excel format which helps the compilation of lists in this sit.

Spaz
Harold Wexler

Actually I have an idea: what if everyone of the top picks from each genre were weighted equally as #1 and the honorable mentions as #2, all of them? This is just my suggestion which could be, of course, terribly miscalculated or bizzare since I am really inexeprienced regarding this Excel format which helps the compilation of lists in this sit.

In situations like this, the way the rankings are usually handled would probably give the top three picks an average rank of 2 (they're unranked, but above the others in the category) and the HM's a rank of 8 (halfway between 4-13). Or something like that. In any case, I'm still not convinced on including this one.

Harold Wexler
Spaz
Harold Wexler

In situations like this, the way the rankings are usually handled would probably give the top three picks an average rank of 2 (they're unranked, but above the others in the category) and the HM's a rank of 8 (halfway between 4-13). Or something like that. In any case, I'm still not convinced on including this one.
Either that, or 8 (halfway between 1 and 15) and 40 (halfway between 16 and 65). I think both will produce similar results.

Edit: If you use 2 and 8, the values are the total number of albums divided by 5 (five categories). The same should then be done for the "+30" value which then becomes 13+30/5=19

Harold Wexler
Uncertain but probably eligible: The L Magazine is a general-interest Brooklyn culture mag, but this -is- a multi-critic list, so I'd imagine it's eligible. Henrik?
Sorry Harold, I missed this one. I think it should be included.

Henrik
Harold Wexler

I figured you would - that's why I already included it, several weeks ago.

Henrik
Either that, or 8 (halfway between 1 and 15) and 40 (halfway between 16 and 65). I think both will produce similar results.

Edit: If you use 2 and 8, the values are the total number of albums divided by 5 (five categories). The same should then be done for the "+30" value which then becomes 13+30/5=19

So, if I use 8 and 40 would the +30 value just be a straight 95 (65 + 30)? That seems like the best way to go.

Harold Wexler
Henrik
Harold Wexler

I figured you would - that's why I already included it, several weeks ago.

95, yes.

A top 10 list was just posted from an Australian magazine called Rip It Up. The blog's Alexa rank is just slightly over 1M, there are 170 sites linking in, and it's a print mag as well. The rank is the only thing making this a borderline decision, but I'd guess it's eligible. Henrik?

OK, if Total Guitar was eligible, then Guitar World probably is, too. Thoughts, Henrik?

I think all print magazines should be included.

Henrik
I think all print magazines should be included.

This answers both of my last questions. Thanks!

Pazz & Jop results are released next Tuesday (Jan. 18). Can't wait, especially in a year as wide open as this (PJH's dominance of the spreadsheet notwithstanding, I just don't see Let England Shake topping the poll). The obvious pick for the P&J #1 would probably be Bon Iver, but I don't know - the critics could go for Fleet Foxes or Tom Waits or tUnE-yArDs, or maybe make a statement about the changing industry by giving it to The Weeknd.

Eligibility questions:
La Presse (cyberpresse.ca) (Canada)
Passion of the Weiss (USA) (passionweiss.com) - see post

Spreadsheet scoring questions:
*La Presse (if eligible): 50 albums (originally 60, but Romain omitted the classical and reissue lists), divided into eight lists, all ranked - 2 top 10s, 6 top 5s.
*Chroniques Electroniques: 55 albums, divided into lists covering 3 categories of electronic music: 1 ranked top 20, 1 unranked top 20, 1 ranked top 15.

Henrik, for each of the above, I'd appreciate some advice on what the +30 score should be, and for CE, how to handle the unranked list (each album assigned a rank of 10.5, perhaps?)

Thanks in advance.

Harold Wexler
Eligibility questions:
La Presse (cyberpresse.ca) (Canada)
Passion of the Weiss (USA) (passionweiss.com) - see post

*La Presse (if eligible): 50 albums (originally 60, but Romain omitted the classical and reissue lists), divided into eight lists, all ranked - 2 top 10s, 6 top 5s.
*Chroniques Electroniques: 55 albums, divided into lists covering 3 categories of electronic music: 1 ranked top 20, 1 unranked top 20, 1 ranked top 15.

Henrik, for each of the above, I'd appreciate some advice on what the +30 score should be, and for CE, how to handle the unranked list (each album assigned a rank of 10.5, perhaps?)

Thanks in advance.
They both look eligible to me.

For the scoring, I'm just making something up here... let me know if it sounds stupid.
La Presse: Data in two columns, top 10s and top 5s. The +30 value is 14 and 9 (30 divided by 8 lists is roughly 4).
CE: I like your suggestion, with 30 as the +30 value.

Henrik
Harold Wexler

Thanks in advance.

For the scoring, I'm just making something up here... let me know if it sounds stupid.
La Presse: Data in two columns, top 10s and top 5s. The +30 value is 14 and 9 (30 divided by 8 lists is roughly 4).
CE: I like your suggestion, with 30 as the +30 value.

So, if I'm reading you correctly, row 3 should be as follows:
*La Presse, column 1 (the 2 top 10 lists): 14
*La Presse, column 2 (the 6 top 5 lists): 9
*Chroniques Electronique: 30

Just making sure. Thanks!

Correct