The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Critics' lists
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grammy Nominees 2011

http://www.grammy.com/nominees
Kanye West has the most nominations with 7, but none in the categories we consider.

Record of the Year:

Adele - Rolling in the Deep
Bon Iver - Holocene
Bruno Mars - Grenade
Mumford & Sons - The Cave
Kate Perry - Firework

Album of the Year:

Adele - 21
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Lady Gaga - Born This Way
Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans
Rihanna - Loud

Re: Grammy Nominees 2011

Mumford & Sons up for record of the year for a song that came out over two years ago. Gotta love the Grammys.

Evan
Mumford & Sons up for record of the year for a song that came out over two years ago. Gotta love the Grammys.

That's nothing. In addition to those completely unexpected Record and Song of the Year nominations, Bon Iver - who, if you recall, made tons of 2008 best-of lists, for an album that was initially released in 2007, which by my count was four years ago - was also nominated for "Best New Artist."

^ Wow. So is Fleet Foxes' self-titled up for album of the year next year?

Evan

Yes, but it's facing some stiff competition from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Songs for Swingin' Lovers.

Harold Wexler
Evan

Yes, but it's facing some stiff competition from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Songs for Swingin' Lovers.

Harold Wexler
Evan

That's nothing. In addition to those completely unexpected Record and Song of the Year nominations, Bon Iver - who, if you recall, made tons of 2008 best-of lists, for an album that was initially released in 2007, which by my count was four years ago - was also nominated for "Best New Artist."

You can be up for a Best New Artist Grammy if you haven't been nominated for a Grammy before. Its more about which artists broke out in the past voting period than anything.

I am still shocked that Kanye West, who even managed to get the most nominations this year (7), was snubbed for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, a million-selling album, and one of the most critically-acclaimed discs of the year.

What I find surprising is not that the Grammys would snub an acclaimed album, because as we know, the Grammys aren't about critical acclaim (although last year's win for Arcade Fire for Album of the Year made me begin to wonder if they have started to smarten up a bit), but the fact that Kanye West has been nominated for Album of the Year three times before! He is a Grammy favourite, and it seemed like a lock for a nomination.

What is perhaps even most surprising about all of this is that Kanye West doesn't seem to be at all bothered by his snub. He believes the release of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and his collaboration with Jay-Z, Watch the Throne, split votes. He may be partially right, but I will always be confused as to how bad some of the Album of the Year nominees can get. And as many pundits have already declared, this is one of the worst lineups for Album of the Year at the Grammys.

Couldn't we just exclude the Grammy Awards from AM entirely? I mean, this has nothing to do with the most acclaimed music.

Stephan
Couldn't we just exclude the Grammy Awards from AM entirely? I mean, this has nothing to do with the most acclaimed music.

I didn't enter the Album of the Year nominees last year, and nobody missed them. I wasn't planning on entering them this year, either. Adele doesn't need any more help.

It is strange that MBDTF was shut out, but I -am- thankful about one thing. I had been fully expecting two of the AotY nominees to be MBDTF and Taylor Swift's Speak Now, which of course would have meant that "The Story" in the media would have been "OMG!!! KANYE VS TAYLOR!!!" Instead, neither wound up getting nominated, so we don't have to worry about tuning that noise out for two months.