The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Critics' lists
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
60-41...

Ray of Light comes in lower than I thought it would be. Will Erotica actually be Madonna's highest-ranked album?

The first Blur album arrives.

60. Mos Def, Black on Both Sides
59. Blur, Parklife
58. Sinéad O'Connor, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
57. Portishead, Portishead
56. Weezer, Pinkerton
55. Deee-Lite, World Clique
54. U2, Achtung Baby
53. Tricky, Maxinquaye
52. Pavement, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
51. Air, Moon Safari
50. Genius/GZA, Liquid Swords
49. Belle and Sebastian, If You're Feeling Sinister
48. Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
47. Madonna, Ray of Light
46. The Chemical Brothers, Surrender
45. Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral
44. Massive Attack, Mezzanine
43. Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
42. A Tribe Called Quest, Midnight Marauders
41. Basement Jaxx, Remedy

Re: 80-61...

Fiona Apple put all of her 90s record inside of the top 100 and after seeing Is This Desire, Dig Me Out and Dilate, you know this is not going to be your average 90s list.

Re: Slant: Best Albums of the 90s

JR
96. Bob Dylan, Time Out of Mind
Boo!

Blur...

Viguen, Beck has four albums on the list, the most- so Blur can't have more than three.

I like the inclusion of Annie Lennox's Diva, which is kinda underrated IMO.

Re: Where Would Lady Gaga Be...

JR
without the existence of many an act before her? :0 It realy is like someone put Madonna,Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Elton John, Grace Jones, etc. etc. into a blender and out popped Lady Gaga.

And also Bjork. It seems like she's desperate to top Bjorks Oscar dress and nothing she's worn has come close to topping it. Gaga will throw in EVERYTHING and the kitchen sink to stand out but Bjork is just naturally artistic and avant garde. It's part of her craft and it comes natural to her. Gaga just seems insecure with the fact that she's only a simple pop artist at best and she's lucky if she makes a pop record half as good as Like a Prayer.

Re: Where Would Lady Gaga Be...

...And with that, Wilco's chances of being on this list just went to zero. No way Summerteeth is beating In The Aeroplane Over the Sea.

You Never Know...

as evidenced by some other rankings, there could be a surprise. After all, is Erotica makes the cut, who would have thought it would outrank Ray of Light?

40-21...

Wow at Erotica's high placement. Ouutside of a coupl;e gay-themed labums lists and Q citing it as one of 10 "Flawed Classics," this is its only all-time list appearance among AM-eligible features/lists.

40. Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted
39. De La Soul, De La Soul Is Dead
38. Hole, Live Through This
37. Depeche Mode, Violator
36. Erykah Badu, Baduizm
35. Weezer, Weezer
34. Primal Scream, Screamadelica
33. Dr. Dre, The Chronic
32. The Roots, Things Fall Apart
31. OutKast, Aquemini
30. Moby, Play
29. Björk, Debut
28. Madonna, Erotica
27. Smashing Pumpkins, Siamese Dream
26. The Chemical Brothers, Dig Your Own Hole
25. PJ Harvey, Rid of Me
24. Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
23. The Notorious B.I.G., Ready to Die
22. Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville
21. Radiohead, The Bends

Re: 40-21...

Mariah Carey's and Sheryl Crow's chances were killed after they didn't make the top 75. I hope Harvey's To Bring You My Love make the list, it's being totally forgotten by music critics alike who are placing Rid of Me inside the lists instead. Bjork might have the #2 and #1 of the list, since the artist who has the former, topped it 2 years later. This list is totally not as rock influenced as other lists, so i'm not betting on seeing a lot of underrated alternative rock albums, only sure shots like Nirvana's Nevermind and In Utero, Radiohead's OK Computer, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless and R.E.M.'s Automatic. It's still a big question if Pearl Jam, Alanis Morissette and Oasis will make this list. I guess Dummy will possibly reach the top 10.

Nice to see Biggie so high. Too bad Green Day didn't make it.

Hooray for Diva, Erotica and Deee-Lite!

20-1...

20. PJ Harvey, To Bring You My Love
19. Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly
18. Fugees, The Score
17. Wu-Tang Clan, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
16. Daft Punk, Homework
15. A Tribe Called Quest, The Low End Theory
14. Massive Attack, Blue Lines
13. Nas, Illmatic
12. Nirvana, In Utero
11. My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
10. DJ Shadow, Endtroducing...
9. Public Enemy, Fear of a Black Planet
8. Portishead, Dummy
7. Jeff Buckley, Grace
6. R.E.M., Automatic for the People
5. Beck, Odelay
4. Nirvana, Nevermind
3. Radiohead, OK Computer
2. Björk, Post
1. Björk, Homogenic

Re: 20-1...

Björk at #1 and #2 is absolutely awesome!

Acts With 2+ Entries...

Together, these 20 acts account for 46% of the top 100. (if I missed any, let me know)

4 Albums
Beck

3 Albums
Bjork
Madonna
Nirvana
PJ Harvey

2 Albums
Tori Amos
Fiona Apple
Beastie Boys
The Chemical Brothers
Deee-Lite
Janet Jackson
Massive Attack
Outkast
Pavement
Portishead
Radiohead
R.E.M.
Smashing Pumpkins
A Tribe Called Quest
Weezer

How heinously excessive. Bjork at #1 and #2? I like Bjork, but NO artist has ever produced the top 2 albums of a decade. That's ridiculous.

Jonathon
How heinously excessive. Bjork at #1 and #2? I like Bjork, but NO artist has ever produced the top 2 albums of a decade. That's ridiculous.

Agreed. I guess it's better than that one German list that has Jimi Hendrix's 3 studio albums as the top three all-time.

Bjork? 1 AND 2? Come. she really shouldn't have either of those spots, let alone both.
But, In Utero was #12, so

Hush...

Björk is every bit as good as Radiohead, but she doesn't get the love they get because she's a girl.

Re: Slant: Best Albums of the 90s

JR

94. Prince and the New Power Generation, Love Symbol Album

I hadn't seen this before. Hooray for Prince! Symbol is indeed a great album, and a good pick for a Prince 90s album. I'd go with The Gold Experience as his best of the 90s, but Symbol isn't far behind and it was a lot more popular, so it makes sense.

Jonathon
Actually, there's an artist that has produced the top 2 albums of all time.

I personally would've loved this list if it started at #6. Seems like a great top 10 from there on.

Stephan
I personally would've loved this list if it started at #6. Seems like a great top 10 from there on.

Seems like the same top 6 you'd always expect,except slot in Loveless and something else for the 2 Bjork albums

Stephan
Jonathon
Actually, there's an artist that has produced the top 2 albums of all time.

For me, take out Automatic for the People and I'm pretty happy with the top 10.

For Those...

awaiting best of the 80s lists, Slant says possibly next year. :)

Re: For Those...

JR
awaiting best of the 80s lists, Slant says possibly next year. :)

Yes!!!