The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Critics' lists
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Quite the Blowout...

on both the albums and singes lists. Especially the albums list, where it was no contest.

Re: Pazz and Jop 2010

Harold Wexler
MBDTF's dominance here was extraordinary - it received almost TWICE the number of points as LCD. (I'm thinking that may be a record margin of P&J victory.)

All due respect to THE SUBURBS, HIGH VIOLET and TEEN DREAM, all of which I love, but the fact that Kanye is stuck at #4 on the spreadsheet - a close #4, but #4 nonetheless - is ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned.

Here are some other big P&J wins:

Nevermind 1699
Apocalypse '91 ... The Enemy Strikes Back 923

Live Through This 1552
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain 859

Odelay 1134
The Score 602

Love & Theft 3010
Is This It 1613

I believe Kanye's win this year is bigger than any of these, with either Love & Theft or Odelay coming the closest. It does seem strange for Kanye to be #4 on the spreadsheet with this huge win in P&J, and also #1 at Rolling Stone, Spin, and Pitchfork. I guess it shows the big divide between American critics and critics from other countries.

Re: Pazz and Jop 2010

Harold Wexler
MBDTF's dominance here was extraordinary - it received almost TWICE the number of points as LCD. (I'm thinking that may be a record margin of P&J victory.)

All due respect to THE SUBURBS, HIGH VIOLET and TEEN DREAM, all of which I love, but the fact that Kanye is stuck at #4 on the spreadsheet - a close #4, but #4 nonetheless - is ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned.

Some years don't have a clear cut #1...2008 was a great example of 4 or 5 great albums at the top, all around the same value. 2010 to me, was not one of those years.

MBDTWF is not one of those albums to me. It's the best album by a mile. We're talking Nevermind, Odelay, OK Computer, Kid A, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Funeral level of kicking the ass of every other album that came out that year.

I had a harder time chosing a #2 this year than a #1 because no album felt like it deserved to sit next to Dark Fantasy...every other album feels like an established artist sheepishly clinging on to their signature sound, or a self-concious "I'm an artist move". Dark Fantasy is as inviting and accessible as it is genius.

Something to think about; when I first found AM in 2005, Kid A was only #3 of the year 2000. Give it Ten years, and I suspect we'll see MDTBF lording over the pretenders to its throne.