The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Critics' lists
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Well, Yes...

SMLTS absolutely should be there. But, will Radiohead land another? Or, will Madonna will end up with more than both of them? Stay tuned...

Re: What Do...

JR
you mean, especially the 90s list? What other lists are there?

Hopefully Slant will do an 80s list at some point in the future, too- may as well work its way backward to the 50s.

Wholly Crap! it was supposed to be: Especially the albums list! But other years would be nice, too.

Re: Slant Magazine: Best Singles of the '90s

JR

94. The Cure, "Pictures of You"
90. The B-52's, "Roam"
88. Nirvana, "Heart-Shaped Box"
86. Zhané, "Hey Mr. DJ"
81. Depeche Mode, "Personal Jesus"

Yes!

Re: Well, Yes...

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" will likely make it, but I think Nirvana has much better singles (including "Heart Shaped Box" and "Lithium").

Lauryn Hill could easily have another song on here. I don't guess Radiohead has anything left that is a must, though "Let Down" is my personal favorite from them. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Outkast song either ("Rosa Parks" maybe).

"Groove Is In The Heart" is surely in the top 20. That seems like a song these guys drool over. Really, this list has been what I expected from them. And unlike its headline suggest, it does make me nostalgic.

I'm still confused why there seem to be patches with the same artist. Today we get 2 Madonna songs almost right next to one another.

20-1...

The final 20:

20. Weezer, "Say It Ain't So"
19. Aaliyah, "Are You That Somebody?"
18. OutKast, "Rosa Parks"
17. 2Pac featuring Dr. Dre, "California Love"
16. Madonna, "Ray of Light"
15. BLACKstreet featuring Dr. Dre, "No Diggity"
14. Dr. Dre, "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang"
13. Beck, "Loser"
12. Smashing Pumpkins, "1979"
11. Deee-Lite, "Groove Is in the Heart"
10. Madonna, "Vogue"
9. Björk, "Hyperballad"
8. The Breeders, "Cannonball"
7. Beastie Boys, "Sabotage"
6. Lauryn Hill, "Doo-Wop (That Thing)"
5. Nine Inch Nails, "Closer"
4. The Verve, "Bittersweet Symphony"
3. R.E.M., "Losing My Religion"
2. Sinéad O'Connor, "Nothing Compares 2 U"
1. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Final tally of acts with multiple entries
:
Madonna: 5
Radiohead: 4
Nirvana: 4
Bjork: 4
Lauryn Hill: 4 (two solo, two with Fugees)
Smashing Pumpkins: 3
Dr. Dre: 3 (one solo, two featurings)
U2: 2
Blur: 2
Massive Attack: 2
Portishead: 2
Michael Jackson: 2 (one solo, one duet)
Janet Jackson: 2 (one solo, one duet)
Pavement: 2
Public Enemy: 2
Notorious B.I.G.: 2
Erykah Badu: 2
Weezer: 2
Beck: 2

Re: 20-1...

I hope the albums list contain more artists that i had expected to appear here. Maybe it's because is a single lists and they are not strong single artists or didn't have a strong single. Let the albums list come!

Damn it! Juicy didn't make the list, and niether did Green Day.

No Green Day & Pearl Jam is surprising for me.

SLTS at number 1???? Who could have called that? Talk about a surprise....

In all seriousness though, I love SLTS, it is a great song, even if I could think of a half dozen 90's songs that are way better. What kind of annoys me though is it seems like EVERY SINGLE LIST of the best 90's songs has it at number 1. Not number 2 or 3 or anywhere else in the top ten. No. Number 1. Every. Single. Time. I understand it's the song that single-handedly killed hair metal and ushered in a new wave of grunge/ alternative rock, and it also captured the zeitgeist of the early to mid 90's young adult/ teenage culture. But even understanding all that, I would like to see it sometimes not at number 1.

Actually...

Rock de Lux had it at No. 2 on its 1990-1998 list. And The Movement had it at No. 68 for its 90s list. Just a couple of exceptions. :)

Re: Slant Magazine: Best Singles of the '90s

didn't these guys do a 00s list? is it included on this site?

Slant Did...

do a 2000s list- it has not yet been included, as there has not been a songs update in a while. It's on the agenda for this year- there are decade-end lists and a number of all-time lists/features (and some pretty lengthy) that have yet to be added to the site.

The Albums List...

is coming. In about a week and a half or so. :)

Re: The Albums List...

JR
is coming. In about a week and a half or so. :)

Finally! I was gettin worried, but i must say: i hope i see more of the Slant i've grown to know than what it was shown inside the singles list. It was a great list, but when it comes to Slant you could've expected more from female artists like Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Ani DiFranco, Liz Phair and female lead bands like Hole, Sleater-Kinney and Elastica, but they were completely gone and forgotten. It looked more like something other critics could have come up with than a Slant list. Hopefully the albums list will be better since the number of artists placing records inside of it are much more.

Slant Is...

giving hints about which acts and albums are on the list, via Facebook, in the days leading up to the start of the list. Portishead was the first to be teased.

With the love Slant has for Madonna's Erotica, I expect it to appear- and probably Ray of Light.

Am sure we'll see Lauryn Hill, Radiohead, R.E.M., Nirvana, etc.- probably PJ Harvey, Bjork, etc.

Re: Slant Is...

It's not perfect (what is?) but I like it more than Pitchfork's list. Would have liked to see some Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, and Guided by Voices.

Album list better have tons of Blur!